• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found that making powder charges using aluminum foil is a pain in the ass. So I got some small cotton bags the right size to hold the charge. The cotton is much thicker than I had in mind. I know the prick will puncture the bag with a little effort but I'm wondering if the fuse will find the hole. Maybe a friction primer would be better. What do you think?

I ‘has’ no idea, but…
When bags were used I understand they would prick the bag, then prime with powder.
nthe gun was fired with a match or later flint lock
I don’t know how it would react to a fuse.

Much greater likelihood of a glowing ember in the bore if you use a cloth bag (especially cotton). Might be a bad day when ramming the next charge. The aluminum foil is not combustible and cannot contribute anything leaving something smoldering in the barrel. What is so difficult about aluminum foil ? I made a simple wooded form for my 3 inch bore gun and it takes less than a minute to make a foil sleeve for a charge. ????

At a gun show this weekend a seller said to get black powder from a maker in Mexico. 35# lots. Can't remember the name. Anyone heard of this?

Have not heard that or saw any south of the border powder brands but it may me possible. I used to keep a little Swiss on hand for a particularly picky gun but now just stick to Regular Goex and Goex Olde Eynsford for everything.

Back