• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on the projectile & charge weight you use one may give better accuracy in your particular rifle than the other. I always try both when working up a load for a rifle. Max loads with 3f are lower weight than 2f, so load accordingly.

Two will give a little slower velocity charge for charge. You have to up your charge around ten-twenty percent to get the same velocity. So seventy of three about equals eighty of two. Three is a little more economical to shoot.
Howsomever a 1600 fps load in two f produces lower breech pressure

I use 3F in everything. But I've also used 2F with equal results; and sometimes it just depended on what was available.

If you happen to have a flintlock, (you posted in flintlock rifles), then using fffg as main charge AND as priming powder means one less thing to carry, ie no priming flask needed.

According to Lyman black powder manual you can get by with up to 40% less of fffg compared to ffg.
And it's cleaner burning to boot.

Latest posts

Back