• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This has been dealt with, but is still confusing and complicated to new BP folks. That said, if one were stepping into the flintlock BP world for the first time, and asked you what BP was SURE-FIRE best, what would you tell them?

What I have in my horn. Way back when I shot Dupont, now Goes, Curtis & Harvey and they all went bang. Of course some are cleaner shooting or have more power, but I've stuck with Goex simply because that is what I've been using and it is available easily by mail. I shoot both 2f and 3f.

This has been dealt with, but is still confusing and complicated to new BP folks. That said, if one were stepping into the flintlock BP world for the first time, and asked you what BP was SURE-FIRE best, what would you tell them?
Well, it depends... on caliber, on what performance aspects are important to you, on how much you're willing to pay for it, and what your overall criteria for "best" includes.

Of course all the real black powder is the best. There are highly energetic powders such as Swiss or Olde Eynsford. Very good powders but these are the most expensive. There are European brands such as KIK, Wano or Schuetzen which are good. The American manufactured powder, GOEX, is a good powder readily available through mail order for many of us. Then there's Jack's Battle which is a lesser grade suitable for reenacting and firing of blank rounds.

I use GOEX, so for someone who is just entering the flintlock black powder shooting experience, I would say GOEX.

Do not use any substitute powder. Those are the worst and can make the flintlock experience pure he77.

I'd say stick with about any REAL black powder and avoid the subs. Through experimentation the shooter can determine which powder performs best in their gun.

Start with Goex. Rule of thumb: below 50 cal, FFFG 50 cal FFG or FFFG. Above 50 use FFG. To prime your Flintlock, FFFFG (4f) is fastest, but a Lot of us just use whats in the horn. At a match, I will use 4F

Back