• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder Weight vs volume? New to purcussion.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are absolutely right. I never dry balled as long as I was hunting and shooting alone. It was only after I joined the club I was successful in dryballing, not once but about three times. Then I discovered to leave my measure with the little funnel on top in the bore until I was ready to install the ball Solved all the problem. Age didn't help this condition experience did.
squint

Some target shooters use a long brass powder drop tube when loading to help prevent the powder from sticking to the side of the bore.
I have seen CAP N BALL use the powder drop tube when doing a new gun test. When I am at the range I wipe with Windex and don't seem to have any issues with powder sticking to the barrel. However - my long shots with black powder are limited to a max of 200 yards, farther than I can see target and sights and be efficient.
Admittedly these methods are usually performed as a labor of love, especially for the
non-competition shooters.
That's the first common sense statement to come out of this conversation. Thank you!

You are absolutely right. I never dry balled as long as I was hunting and shooting alone. It was only after I joined the club I was successful in dryballing, not once but about three times. Then I discovered to leave my measure with the little funnel on top in the bore until I was ready to install the ball Solved all the problem. Age didn't help this condition experience did.
squint
If I had written that statement it could not have been any more accurate applied to me. That was like looking in the mirror!
I enjoyed reading that!

I have as I am Shure others have done, tipped the barrel up and poured it into my hand to see if there is any powder in it? also we all should as we have been told fore years. to put a line on your rod when it is loaded. then there is no doubt. if the line doesn't line up you will know in an instant.

I have seen CAP N BALL use the powder drop tube when doing a new gun test.
Drop tubes require careful management as powder can become trapped in the tube.

By way of example; a competitor in the Long Range World Champinships in the US a few years back loaded with a long drop tube, but the rifle wouldn’t fire. He used a gas blower to clear nipple and what he thought was powder, wad and bullet. Next shot fired went off with excessive recoil; he thinks the charge was stuck in the tube first time, hence no ignition. Second time, it’s probable that when loading, both the charge trapped in the tube and the new load dropped through - he launched his 550 grain bullet with around 180 grains of FFg.

So check tubes are clear and have your range rods marked so you can check if the rifle is unloaded, just has powder in, or has powder and bullet.

David

Latest posts

Back