• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder ?? Thompson Center Hawken 50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyA

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just purchased a T/C Hawken it’s never been fired but is one of the older ones I’m looking for advice on the best powder to use in this rifle with #11 cap

I shoot a modern 209 inline and use Blackhorn 209 in it but fear that powder will not work in this application

thanks in advance for any advice

Most of us have had very good results with real black powder such as GOEX 3fg and that's what we recommend. Some of the substitute black powders can produce results that are sort of acceptable. This is especially true if you live where black powder is hard to come by and you don't want to mail order powder. A load of 70 to 80 grains of GOEX 3fg is probably going to perform quite fine.

Use real black powder (2 or 3fg) or Pyrodex (RS/Select or P) but use only volume measurements, not weight. Normally 60gr volume 2fg black powder weighs about 60gr on a scale, however the same is not true for Pyrodex. Both are corrosive once fired so ensure you not neglect cleaning the gun. I would start at 50gr volume and work up in 5 gr increments until you are happy with your groups. Do not exceed about 90gr of 3fg or P, or 110 gr of 2fg or RS/Select.
Walk

Thank you all for your help I think I’ll try the real black powder and see how it works.

Use real black powder (2 or 3fg) or Pyrodex (RS/Select or P) but use only volume measurements, not weight. Normally 60gr volume 2fg black powder weighs about 60gr on a scale, however the same is not true for Pyrodex. Both are corrosive once fired so ensure you not neglect cleaning the gun. I would start at 50gr volume and work up in 5 gr increments until you are happy with your groups. Do not exceed about 90gr of 3fg or P, or 110 gr of 2fg or RS/Select.
Walk
Who weighs powder anymore?

I know nothing about Blackhorn, so I can't say whether it would work or not. If you don't have access to real black, Pyrodex will work for sure. I had the same gun as you many years ago as my first bp rifle, and I used Pyrodex exclusively at that time, either P or RS (depending on what I had at the time) with patched balls. I experimented with everything from 50 to 90 grains (volume) of both powders. 60 grains of P seemed to work best for me with my particular rifle and ball/patch combo and for my purposes. Had I been hunting with that gun at the time, I may have tried to work up a heavier charge, but I just shot targets or plinked with it, and this relatively light load was accurate, mild, and saved on powder.

Thank you all for your help I think I’ll try the real black powder and see how it works.
If your looking for real black powder at a local store you may find that it's hard to find.
The store must keep real black powder locked up in a Federally approved storage box so it won't be out on a shelf with the other powders.
When asking about it, it's a good idea to talk to the store owner or manager. Often, a store clerk won't even know they have it because it's locked up where they can't see it.
Also beware. Store clerks don't know the difference between real black powder and the synthetic muzzleloading powders. More than a few times a unknowing clerk will sell powders like Pyrodex, 777 or BlackMag to a unsuspecting customer.

I’ve begun weighing charges of 2 and 3f Swiss for use in bullet shooting .45 and .50 caliber muzzleloaders. I weigh my bullets too now. Every bullet weighs within 3 grains of every other. So far I like the results and feel the slight effort is worth it. I’ll know more come spring when a fellow can shoot without freezing to death...

I have found real bp online. They have 777 and Pyrodex select here at a local store. I think I’ll just order the real bp from what I have read it seems to be the top choice thanks for all of the info

I have found real bp online. They have 777 and Pyrodex select here at a local store. I think I’ll just order the real bp from what I have read it seems to be the top choice thanks for all of the info
You won’t go wrong. Olde Einsford is good stuff and more economical than Swiss but if your rifle is partial to Swiss...

Back