• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Storage (19thC)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResearchPress

45 Cal.
Reaction score
There’s currently a thread under the title ‘Best Containers’ discussing the merits of storing black powder in plastic or metal containers. Rather than lose this in that multi page discussion I have started a new thread.

Following is a 19thC personal powder magazine.

B4C0697A-5F6F-4B24-9A39-3D3044ABED7E.jpeg

This is the powder magazine of Sir William Clayton, by Masu of London c1867. It is a polished oak box lined in green baize and containing three copper gunpowder boxes marked ‘2’, ‘4’ and ‘6’. The numbers likely refer to Curtis’s and Harvey powder grades.

David

What are the canister dimensions? That would be nice to copy. The lock might be a bit hard to find though.

Several years ago I wanted to build a cabinet, but didn't want to buy the blue prints, An accomplished wood smith I was acquainted had a jig, sort like a set of calipers he had made from some ancient magazine article. Now, the search engines are full of computer oriented methods to figure dimensions from an image.

Thank you. I would not have thought they tapered. Looking at the picture again I now see the taper.:doh:

Back