• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder/Shot Vials

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well, it ain't exactly what you'd call "Period Correct." However, I was looking to get serious with Brown Bess starting next week. I needed a way to pre-measure powder and shot. I looked to Ebay for an answer:

s-l1600.jpg

I tried the smallest ones first-- 15 mm. They could not hold 80 grains of 2F and could only hold 3/4 oz of #6 lead. I'll give those to #2 Son for powder for his squirrel gun. I went back and bought the largest ones-- `16 mm X100 mm . These hold over 120 grains of powder and 2.5 OZ of #6 shot. These will be perfect for the 'Bess.

For those interested, there are gobs of these things on Ebay. I bought:

10/30/50/100PCS Plastic Clear Lab Test Tubes Vial Sample Container Bottle​

and the price was under $10 with $3 shipping.

Next, I needed a way of carrying these vials. The smaller ones will fit in any ammo container meant for 30-06. The large 16 mm ones I'm using are fairly close to a 50 BMG in size. I ended up ordering:
s-l500.jpg

This is an MTM 10 round slip case for 50 BMG-- $11. I figure that will give me 5 reloads( 5 powder/5shot ) in the field for turkey season.

This just underscores the mad scientist vibe this project is becoming.

Last edited:
I have been using paper cartridges for my King's Musket's loads. The paper is readily available from so many sources. One copy of the daily newspaper will yield many rolled cartridges. One can roll powder charges and shot charges. The quantity it contains can be written on the cartridge with a felt marker. Pour the powder charge crumple up the paper to use as a wad and load the shot charge. When the cartridges aare used there is no left-over tubes to find a storage location.

I've been making paper cartridges for some time.

However, paper is not the best way to do load development. What I've got at the moment is a 1lb Folgers plastic can filled with various loads of shot in vials in various combinations. This will get me through the initial tests of powder and shot where I'm trying to experiment with different wads, cards, etc. After I have the load optimized, I'll probably keep the vials going through turkey season, as they seem like a good way to cart around reloads in the field.

Eventually, after I have loads nailed down for squirrel, turkey, and deer, I'm probably going to go back and redo things using more period-correct methods. By then, the neuropathy in my fingers will be better. Remember, I'm still getting over Chemo. Back in the fall, loading from a paper cartridge was out of the question, so I built paper/wad combinations that mimicked what you get after you've torn off the paper and dumped the powder down. These worked just fine with my numb fingers. Hopefully by fall this year, I'll be able to do the full paper cartridge thing. I'll tell you, measuring shot is just at the limit of my capabilities right now, so pre-measuring into the vials is a big boon. I can do that at home on the bench and not worry about spilling. I'm also not 100% with standing. I'm still quite numb from the ankles down. Having an easy no-dickin'-around way to do powder and shot is essential.

My end goal in all this, after I've got loads field tested, is to drill antler and make measures for all my loads and have them hanging on thongs off my possibles bag,

Just a quick update on my progress: I managed to fly down to Florida, hang with my buddy in Bradenton and went out boar hunting with him. He's 80, so neither of us were up to any sort of wild mess. We found a game ranch outside of Arcadia that could easily deal with our limitations. We both got our boar and now have 50 some pounds of wild pork sitting in the freezer. I flew back on Thursday. The only real problem I had was standing in the lines at the airport. They let me board right behind the old lady in the wheelchair, and I was fine, but I'm sure the other passengers thought I must be drunk or something. I still have a crazy gate.

Details and pics here:

Boar Hunt with Supercore

I'll have to agree, if you are hunting and there is no real desire to be historically correct, then using the squeezable mustard bottle for 3Fg powder and a squeezable relish bottle for shot would be workable choices. You will still be well served by using a brass adjustable powder measure to transfer from the container to the barrel. Wads can be kept in pockets separated by zip lock sandwich bags.

I’ve yet to be successful in creating paper shot cartridges. I can roll/make paper cartridges with round balls fairly consistently, but my shot cartridges always leak the shot out. As such I typically do exactly what the thread creator does (use small glass vials with pre-measured shot).

I made the mistake at the beginning of this whole endeavor with the 'Bess that I purchased what seemed to be an ideal possibles bag. The problem was that I'd misjudged the volume needed. I'd been used to dealing with a .54 Hawken. Everything is much bigger with the 'Bess. It's okay. I'm sure that this bag will eventually find use, but it taught me the lesson that I needed to get better involved with the piece before settling on what it needs in the way of accouterments. I'm close to Friendship, IN, so I can go to the big shoots and pick up whatever swag I need after I make better decisions.

I just got done dragging the 'Bess and its associated cargo up out of the basement in preparation for my first trip to the range for the coming year. It'll be just about a year since I first took it out and got my inaugural shots off. Cancer and Chemo intervened for most of last year. For the first trip, I had an ammo box, a day pack and a soft-sided cooler all loaded up. I've at least been able to condense the load-out and been able to ditch the day pack. Still. . . Yikes! It is still the mad scientist carrying the whole lab out to the shooting bench.

Every time I get on this august forum, I find myself adding something new to the list to test out. I still have yet to determine what ball size is best for deer; I have 3 different calibers (.69, .715 and .735). I have 2 sizes of shot (#6 and #4) I have various concoctions of cleaning solutions, patches, tow-- the list is endless. The good news is that I'm retired, and I can now spend my days being thorough. One thing is for certain: everybody has their own idea of what works best and everyone is doing something different.

BTW: Thanks to all of you again. I couldn't have done this without you. Furthermore, if I hadn't been pounding up and down the stairs a year ago, trying to get this 'Bess ready for its first trip out, I would not have discovered the Cancer. The 'Bess and you all are the reason I'm even still here.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/brown-bess-saved-my-life.146140/

I like using prescription bottles. They seem to be waterproof and hold the amount of shot, powder and cornmeal I use.

My clarification in my text to some friends, I’m sure, seemed suspicious when asking them if they had any spare containers lol

Years ago I came up with a similar way of carrying shot, powder and ball. Instead of buying vials I bought some pvc pipe in two sizes along with end caps. The smaller diameter pipe was easy to cut in different lengths depending on the load/caliber of rifle while the larger diameter could easily handle .600" ball for my 62 smoothbore. They turned out to be so handy I didn't need my shooting bag when out hunting.

They were marked with shot size, ball size, powder weight and grade. They were stuffed in coat pockets with room to spare. Even though I no longer hunt game they remain in my shop ready to use should the need ever arise.

Here's another hint: one of those large-mouth squeeze relish containers makes a great container for shot.

1e14f451-451c-42bf-bc1b-62bb4ea631a7_1.e029e41b25ee34458f75ca4dd768f10c.jpeg

Yeah, I know. It's a bit of a buzzkill, but look at it this way: If Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton had access to plastic relish containers. . .
yep, thats what im using for shot, works great and fits perfect in hunting pouch

I have used diabetic test strip containers for premeasured shot, powder, wads, lubed bullets, round balls, or other small items. Some types you can mark on with a sharpy.

Back