• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder shortage effects

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Powder shortage?
....I might think about substitutes if one ever happens, but I would probably start making my own instead.

Oh, and what's this about GOEX being "hard to find"? You all do know that it's not made any more dont you??

Making one's own gunpowder is quite dangerous. I should be surprised that a muzzle-loading forum with any thoughts of safety would publish this.

Making one's own gunpowder is quite dangerous. I should be surprised that a muzzle-loading forum with any thoughts of safety would publish this.

A blanket statement like this shows ignorance of the process. It can be dangerous but it doesn't have to be if the person doing it knows what he's doing and follows proper procedures.

One might just as easily say that handling any firearm is quite dangerous, since it certainly can be if one doesn't know or follow safety rules.

Putting explosive powder down a steel tube then packing a lead ball onto and raising it up to your face is quite dangerous....
Melting lead and pouring into a mould next to your hand is quite dangerous...
Throwing sharpened knives and axes is quite dangerous....

I think maybe we should take up knitting....oh wait, I do that too and those double pointed needles are quite dangerous!

I guess I missed the post where people published the step by step process and recipe. Serious over reaction on your part.

I guess I missed the post where people published the step by step process and recipe.

So Far...,*

I read every post. Folks have not spoken about the actual procedure. A very few have said they make it. No harm ; no foul yet.

I have a tiny supply of KNO3..., I use it on the stump in my front yard, AND I use it to make slow match for the new-to-me mortar that I bought off the forum.

*.., so good

LD

I have made it many years ago via mortar and pestal in small amounts. It was slower than regular Goex and left more debris in the barrel. At my age, I have no interest in making anymore. I have no problem using substitutes.

Up until last week, I had access to more saltpeter than one could use in 100 lifetimes. I just sold a 1,000 ft. + cavern that was used for a saltpeter mine and supply storage by Confederates during the war. Today you can still see saltpeter diggings at the back of the cave, where soldiers and contractors were hard at work. The powder mill was located less than 3 miles from the cave; however, there are other caves in the area that they mined as well. There are still bats in the cave and they drop goodies on a daily basis, which adds to the salty sprue rising up from the floor.

Come on folks, let's not panic about Goex! - more than likely they will sell to some other company and if they don't, there will be a steady supply from dealers selling Swiss or Schuetzen which frankly are better powders. As for having to pay more for powder in the future, that probably can't be helped. Failing that, it's just not that hard to make your own. May not be as clean or fast as store bought but that's what I'll do if it ever came to it.

Q: How safe is making black powder when you follow procedures and know what you're doing?
A: How far apart are the buildings at companies making black powder?

I recently had a post taken down about this topic. We weren't discussing recipes. I have no ill feelings about it. But my understanding is that the moderators simply don't want it discussed. I get it & I respect the rule. So if you're not seeing much open discussion about it, that's very intentional. You'll have to go elsewhere to learn & discuss more.

It is reality. Regulations are ongoing at state level. The Federal Agency regulating firearms
added the name "explosives" to its title for a reason. The only major item of that nature
commonly sold in America is Black Powder. Black Powder is critical to our sport. So it
will be addressed in the forum if the forum wants to continue and not lose members.
HOWEVER,recipes,methods and instructions carry liability for damages and should not be
discussed here. There are plenty of other places to get that info if you want it. The
Boy Scout Motto is :"BE PREPARED!". All you old Scouts--follow your Motto.

It is is not dangerous for the intelligent and careful, likely much less dangerous than your daily commute.

And there are number of well respected firearms forums who observe safety that discuss it openly and thoroughly.

That we don't discuss it here is the business of those who run the site and of no one else, I am sure they have their reasons. There are enough other places that we need not discuss it here if that is their wish.

Dangerous is a relative term, and anyone who drives a motor vehicle really has no business calling anything anyone else does dangerously off limits.

We have enough Karens in the world already.

Danger is all about perception and preparation, and keeping in mind that none of us get out of this existence alive. ;)

They
It is reality. Regulations are ongoing at state level. The Federal Agency regulating firearms
added the name "explosives" to its title for a reason. The only major item of that nature
commonly sold in America is Black Powder. Black Powder is critical to our sport. So it
will be addressed in the forum if the forum wants to continue and not lose members.
HOWEVER,recipes,methods and instructions carry liability for damages and should not be
discussed here. There are plenty of other places to get that info if you want it. The
Boy Scout Motto is :"BE PREPARED!". All you old Scouts--follow your Motto.

BATFE officially took over explosives regulation in 1970, 51 years ago. Black powder is basically not on their radar because no one uses it for bombings. The E was added after HSA 2001 so they could try to regulate fuel, such as rocket fuel, etc, and they lost that ability in court when challeneged. They already had regulation over blackpowder by that time 20 years ago. Since 1970 they have been the lead agency on all bombings not deemed international terrorism. No one uses BP for terrorism because it takes a heap of it to achieve a big bang and their are more effective recipes available everywhere online. BATFE views basically anyone buying BP as a hobbyist. Which most of us are.

Back