• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder shortage effects

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if some shooters will be trying Pyrodex, maybe for the first time when Goex is hard to find. I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the early 70s and am not at all interested in the inliners. Traditional only for me, thanks.
The first rifle I owned was a .45 Kentucky style percussion. I kept it for several years and shot only Pyrodex in it then sold it to my brother-in-law, who's still hunts with it. It always performed well for me.
I might try Pyrodex again. Actually, I still have some from back then.

I have a half pound of goex 2f left. I also have 3 pounds of goex 3f I have not tried out of my .54 gpr yet. I may buy a pound or two of pyrodex p just to have on hand in case things go bad. Better to shoot a substitute than not shoot at all I guess.

I'm wondering if some shooters will be trying Pyrodex, maybe for the first time when Goex is hard to find. I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the early 70s and am not at all interested in the inliners. Traditional only for me, thanks.
The first rifle I owned was a .45 Kentucky style percussion. I kept it for several years and shot only Pyrodex in it then sold it to my brother-in-law, who's still hunts with it. It always performed well for me.

Once again, THERE ARE OTHER BRANDS BESIDES GOEX. Go to Scheutzen or Swiss, you won't be disappointed.

Don't ever see me even trying substitute BP. My shooting is primarily flintlock. So far, I have been able to find BP suppliers. The bad issue is paying for shipping, and hazmat, on top of escalating BP costs.
Larry

As an instructor I tried BP substitutes, so I could speak about them with some knowledge about the products. Before trying the bp subs, I used black powder. After sampling the subs, I still use black powder in all of my bp firearms, rifles, smoothbore, single shot pistols and revolvers. I will continue to use bp. I have an adequate supply on hand.

Never used the subs and have only 2 active percussions, the rest are flintlocks and that is what I shoot. I was fortunate enough to acquire several pounds of Graf's, Goex and a tiny bit of Swiss. I don't get to shoot very often so my modest stash should still last a pretty long time. Guess I managed to get some just in the nick of time.

I am running out and will need more soon. But refuse the high prices.
The only sub I liked was Black MZ but all gone. Cannot believe Grafs is
out. Goex will return but as a Brand over a different powder--I am thinking
Brazillian (old Elephant or the Newer Diamondback). Wano Germany
would not pay for the plant, since they have plants --just buy the
Brand name. With Goex down, who will Grafs use for their private label
powders? Will they return to Schuetzen Energetics??

I am running out and will need more soon. But refuse the high prices.
The only sub I liked was Black MZ but all gone. Cannot believe Grafs is
out. Goex will return but as a Brand over a different powder--I am thinking
Brazillian (old Elephant or the Newer Diamondback). Wano Germany
would not pay for the plant, since they have plants --just buy the
Brand name. With Goex down, who will Grafs use for their private label
powders? Will they return to Schuetzen Energetics??

Black MZ is no more, but APP still makes the same formula. Out of stock now, but shows up from time to time: Shooters World Multi-Purpose Black FFF Sulfurless Powder 1 Pound - Graf & Sons (grafs.com)

I have a good supply of black powder, getting back into it after a long layoff, back in the day when black powder was readily available, I tired the subs. Both pistol and rifle are .50 percussion and had no issue with Pyrodex or Triple Seven. Heck I even won a few club matches using subs. Remington #11 caps had 100% success setting off the subs.

Buy your lifetime supply of BP and caps as soon as you can.

I have 23# of various granule sizes, when I thought I was down to a couple of pounds of 2F I ordered more just before Goex became unavailable. I decided to arrange my powders in the metal cabinet out in the shop that I keep my stock in and found a couple more pounds of 2F in metal cans from way back when I ordered my first 25#, somehow they had slipped behind the half filled cans of paint we all keep but never use.

Not for me. Started making my own home grown. Only used in shop experiments so far. None through a gun. But generally, it seems to be a good replacement. looks like the burn rate is a little slower, but I'm still playing with my mix. Generally, I'd say the fellows reporting the need to up the powder dose 10-20% are right on target. So I'm making mine AND it's fun. Just another aspect to our sport.

How does one know how much one's lifetime supply should be?
Maybe buy enough to see you through the boom bust cycle of shooting components and be on the lookout for deals? Many years ago, when #11 caps were selling for $5.99 per tin the local big box stores had a clearance, $1.99, so I bought all of them, 15 tins. The clerk told me they couldn't sell BP stuff, so they were getting out to selling most shooting supplies. Bought several pounds of Goex online to offset the hazmat fees, got three cans of BP from people getting out of M/L, etc.

Same lesson for metallic cartridge loading, bought powder, primes, and bullets during the boom years when they were all on sale. I fully understand some people may not have "fun money", but if you do stock up when you can. IMHO.

I lucked out on supplies because my nephew, sons and I would go together and get powder by the case and caps by the thousand to cut down on the hazmat shipping charges. Since I am retired and more likely to be home when the shipment would arrive, it was be sent to me .My sons have moved out of state and don't get back to shoot much so I have a good supply on hand. I doubt prices will go back down but I believe powder and caps will again be available, just higher priced.

Back