• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder Measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an adjustable with the built in funnel that levels off the powder when you close it as described above. Recently I notice some shooters hanging a horn/antler pre-set measure from their horn and thought that was a great idea but I had no antler or horn. So, since I have a lathe and wood...........

Attachments

• DSC00643.JPG
    DSC00643.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00644.JPG
    DSC00644.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 66
Bamboo also makes good powder measures. Bamboo, antler, brass or wood whatever, I always make them oversize. That way a little candle wax in the bottom adjusts them to whatever grain weight you want.

Bamboo also makes good powder measures. Bamboo, antler, brass or wood whatever, I always make them oversize. That way a little candle wax in the bottom adjusts them to whatever grain weight you want.
Not sure where you are located, but candle wax tends to get runny and drip during the summer months in the Carolinas.

Never had a problem with the wax. Pack it in tight and it stays put. Bees wax, for canning, also works well.

Never had a problem with the wax. Pack it in tight and it stays put. Bees wax, for canning, also works well.
Have just found that generic ‘candle’ wax is done a bit over 100°f. Using it to set the size of a powder measure would at best be a sticky mess. Bees wax has a little higher melting point, but in the sun around here on a hot day (95° plus) it also doesn’t hold up. One of the disadvantages of living in the South. Guess you live in a milder climate.

Notchy Bob x2- I work up the load, and then fiddle around with an old brass cartridge case until it works just fine for that powder charge. I then mark it with the charge volume it throws, so I can toss the right one in the bag I'm using. I soldered my pistol ones together bottom-to-bottom so I only had the 1 measure in my bag. .45 pocket pistol on one end, .50 belt pistol on the other end! BTW- Had to use an old Holland and Holland .375 Magnum to get the 100g FFG charge for the .56 Leman. Took a while to find That one on the ground at the range...….Tinhorn

Basically I do the same, just use wood instead of cartridges. I turn the wood down, drill a hole in the middle, mark on outside level of powder then use belt sander to sand to that point and of course creating a funnel in the process. I mark amount of grain on outside, I have 60, 70, 80 & 90 grain measures depending on if I'm shooting .50 or .54 cal, 2F or 3F and attach that measure to my powder horn.

I've been using a Ted Cash floppy funnel measure for 25+ years for all load work, and often shooting out of the bag. Works on my .40 caliber just fine. I have a .32 I have not tried with it yet, but will. It also works on my .751 Bess. I never cared for the strike off kind, too wasteful. Bone and antler measures fine tuned with a bit of clay in the bottom also are great.
It also works great for filling paper cartridges.

just take a piece if 1/2 inch copper tubing and solder a piece of round sheet metal tin / copper / or brass to the bottom after you have cut it to the amount of grains of the charge that you want it to hold and viola!!

Back