• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder horn, that hid itself…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That’s my story anyway :)

Was doing a bit of cleaning out and I came across this forgotten project.
49EDCD2F-90F1-426A-BA15-A01525B1AD82.jpeg
736309ED-4C26-4DAB-8B0F-9728B0E2A645.jpeg

The plug is in two pieces, I fitted aplug, glued and pinned it (as usual), then sanded it and the horn flat then glued on the domed finishing piece.
The brass center pin will be drilled out to take a strong leather thong.
FDA98369-9103-4E3E-A622-4429758E24FA.jpeg

It’s clear enough to see the powder when there’s some in there. Was going to drop the bore light inside but couldn’t find it, so put it up against a torch.Will definitely finish this now that it’s ‘come home’.

Length is 10 inches along the outer curve and 2 1/2 at the pins.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a very common occurrence for objects to take it upon themselves to "hide out" for extended periods of time.

Pretty ungrateful of them - am I right?

Some years back one of my shotguns must have really been upset with me. It "hid out" in a ten by twenty foot room for 9 months!!

(I knew the stupid thing was in that room somewhere. I don't know if I should be proud I have that much gun stuff in there I could 'lose' a shotgun - or disgusted with myself I let my shop get that bad.)

View attachment 141113
It’s clear enough to see the powder when there’s some in there. Was going to drop the bore light inside but couldn’t find it, so put it up against a torch.Will definitely finish this now that it’s ‘come home’.

I was going to advise against putting it against a 'torch', lest it be scorched or burned, but then I realized that we don't speak the same dialect of English, and that you meant 'flashlight'... ;)

mhb - MIke

As far as I'm concerned, it's a very common occurrence for objects to take it upon themselves to "hide out" for extended periods of time.

Some years back one of my shotguns must have really been upset with me. It "hid out" in a ten by twenty foot room for 9 months!!

(I knew the stupid thing was in that room somewhere. I don't know if I should be proud I have that much gun stuff in there I could 'lose' a shotgun - or disgusted with myself I let my shop get that bad.)
Well I'd bee willing to take some of that umm gun stuff off your hands lol

I have a basement full of stuff and occasionally find something I'd forgotten about. Before the last move I had 5X the stuff and loved all of it. Oh well.

Oh, I think we've all been there, lol
I just put my garage back together after a particularly rough winter.
I have a two car garage that serves as my bike shop, gun shop, wood shop, staging area for seasonal equipment, snow blower, shovels, power washer and occasionally, a riding lawn mower and all of my camping gear for the RV.
Everything is pretty much on wheels so it moves around easy enough but I lose stuff for weeks, even years out there. In fact the reason I cleaned it up is, I was trying to find my drop hitch for my bike trailer. Found it! And the garage looks awesome!
Garagemahall.JPG

We went to San Antonio in January, awesome trip to the Alamo. I locked the bedside safe and put the key away safely where it wasn't obvious to find........

I finally found where I put the key......... last week.....about 4 months later........:doh:

Don

Latest posts

Back