• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn strap pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folded over leather end flaps with "D" rings in them and then used leather ties.

HPIM0870.jpg

The top horn has a jute blue and white woven strap. I left a small loop to slip over the finial at the base of the horn. The front attachment is simply looped through the staple and tied with a half hitch.

Horns.jpg

The lower pair of horns have a finger woven strap that is woven in two straps for the attachment to the horn using two half hitches to attach the horn to the strap.

Mine is similar to Stumpkiller's except I omit the D-ring and use a thong instead. The front is tied around the neck in a groove and the back end is tied to the staple. My strap is made of hemp, as jute isn't very tough (or PC/HC).

Can't compare the toughness, but according to the jute industry website, the British East India Company exported jute to Britain beginning in 1793, so while it is not HC for most of the 18th century, it is much more plausible for the 19th century. Link

Do yourself a favor and use hemp instead of jute - you won't regret it. I made a tumpline from jute that started to show wear almost immediately while the next was made from hemp and is holding up far better.

Back