• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was contacted by someone who purchased what they are calling an "antique" powder horn at an estate sale.
It has a date marked on it of 1933, along with NMLRA and other decorations and I am guessing the maker or previous owners initials.
I cannot confirm the date back to 1933, as the NMLRA was "made official" in 1933 so this may not be the actual date of when it was made but more of a homage to the association.
I am attaching photos.
The person contacting me is looking to sell it, and I could use a horn so I am entertaining the idea.
Can anyone assist with this? What should I expect to pay for a horn that many or may not be "vintage".

Attachments

• Powder horn.jpg
    Powder horn.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Powder horn 2.jpg
    Powder horn 2.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Powder horn 3.jpg
    Powder horn 3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Powder horn 4.jpg
    Powder horn 4.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Powder horn 5.jpg
    Powder horn 5.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Powder horn 6.jpg
    Powder horn 6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
IMHO, things like powder horns and rocks are impossible to date. Still, an interesting horn. If you like it and price is right, buy it. Otherwise, I would pass on it as a real antique.

Well it's an older horn, but has been badly damaged with a lot of scratching marks on it.
Take a look at your photo of the crossed rifles and the NMLRA letters, the trigger guard of the rifle on the left is backwards.
If you need a horn, these are available @ $20 plus any tax/shipping;
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/76/1/HORN-DAnd that would be the approximate value of the "antique" horn you've shown us, ;)

The horn is pretty beat up. It looks older but callling it an antique is a guess at best. It could have been made many years after 1933, and was possibly made by a member of the association? Value is a guess and like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder (of the money).

It has a cool primitive look to it. I wouldn’t pay more than $20 for it though.

Well, you can pay anywhere from ten bucks on up for a plain horn that is more or less functional. The last couple horns I bought I think I paid right around $20.00 or so. The one you have pictured has "character" I suppose, and if you want it as a decoration for your commercial hunting lodge or something, you can write off the expense, but if you just want a horn, treat this as a used POS that will work. If it belonged to Davy Crockett, then ask for verification... and be very suspicious. Many "antiques" are made in somebody's garage or basement from something they got at a rummage sale. As in all things, caveat emptor!

Back