• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder Horn photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this horn isn't historically correct and it's my first attempt. The horn was from an enormous, deceased, old bull in the Arizona desert. Anyway, I scratched in some of my favorite things from the woods I hunt, including a copperhead, and sassafras, paw paw, and black jack oak leaves. For some reason, a red-spotted purple butterfly liked the horn as well.
IMG_20200728_113238-2.jpgP6121709.JPGP6121710.JPGP6121711.JPG

I know this horn isn't historically correct and it's my first attempt. The horn was from an enormous, deceased, old bull in the Arizona desert. Anyway, I scratched in some of my favorite things from the woods I hunt, including a copperhead, and sassafras, paw paw, and black jack oak leaves. For some reason, a red-spotted purple butterfly liked the horn as well.
View attachment 58868View attachment 58869View attachment 58870View attachment 58871
I'd be proud to carry it!
Beil

Just let me know and I'll get a white horn in the next order. ;)
I say get it. That said, let me know before you start on it. I'd like to discuss a couple of options before you start fabrication.
BTW, today I picked up the day horn you made for me and it is perfect! If you ever need a reference, feel free to give them my name. You are a true craftsman!

remember that butterfly's are a good judge of character. if they like it, it is OK!!

View attachment 58868View attachment 58869View attachment 58870View attachment 58871
That's absolutely gorgeous! I'll step in line with the others & say the next one you create, mark it sold & contact me! If that's your first, I can only imagine what future horns you'll turn out. Great job! Don't stop there.

Wow, there are some great examples shown here! Mine are rather pedestrian compared to most of these. I did try to make a large flat horn but I split it while fitting the plug. :mad:

I decided to chop it down and make a hunting/day horn out of it and plug it with a piece of walnut. It’s thin enough on the sides to check the powder level when held up to the sun and it’s airtight.
68D4C5D9-F33A-4935-B35B-B1A11A9A20BC.jpeg

095D8FA8-38FE-4A3F-83EB-9AF563A2A628.jpeg

2692F61C-758C-4029-A9C7-007CE551F82E.jpeg

-Jake

I
Wow, there are some great examples shown here! Mine are rather pedestrian compared to most of these. I did try to make a large flat horn but I split it while fitting the plug. :mad:

I decided to chop it down and make a hunting/day horn out of it and plug it with a piece of walnut. It’s thin enough on the sides to check the powder level when held up to the sun and it’s airtight.
View attachment 59431
View attachment 59430
View attachment 59432
-Jake
I'd say you recovered nicely!

Cap, this is the bag. One of the fun things for me is researching, and finding things, even if they aren't directly related to what I'm looking for. This is a German coat of arms for my last name, which is of Saxon derivation and fairly common in England. I figure he was probably a mercenary and when they rang the bell he would arrive with his company of archers, earning him a place at the table, so I shamelessly stole it, hah!
View attachment 47637
I'm still gathering parts for the Jagdgewehr.
Robby
Robby....your work is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Awesome photos, I have a set of Texas longhorns from Texas, my son gave me before I moved up north. I would be willing to trade for something.

Here are a few of my most recent lobed horns.

Attachments

• h 2.jpg
    h 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 43
  • h 3.jpg
    h 3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 42
  • h 10.jpg
    h 10.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 41
  • horn 1.jpg
    horn 1.jpg