• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder Horn photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The English don't seem too keen on using Horn to hold their powder, nothing wrong with that, but I was making my version of an English fowler and wondered what a man of means might request for a horn powder flask. This is what I came up with. Hey, poets get license, why shouldn't I?! HaH!
IMG_0353.jpeg

Inlaid a bit of silver on it.
Robby

I've only ever made one horn, but I salvaged an old original which gave me even more pleasure.

View attachment 47608

The pine butt plug is fastened in with square nails.
View attachment 47609

The butt plug and the end of the horn itself seem to have just been whittled out with a knife. From the old hole in the butt plug I suppose there was originally a way to attach a strap of some sort?
View attachment 47610

I just gave the butt plug and the plug-horn joint a coat of beeswax to seal the leaks, made a plug for the spout and took the old horn hunting. It's fun to carry in my shot pouch as a day horn.
View attachment 47612
Spence
it is great that you saved it. wonder how many of them found in the shape that it was get chucked?
Here’s one that Two Feathers made me.

Respectfully, Cowboy View attachment 47785
Two Feathers is an ARTISAN.

Made this for Dad, in his last year. He was from Clearfield Co. Pennsylvania, on the West Branch of the Susquehanna. I was born in Pittsburgh. Old family stories about our Clan's not so nice relations with the original inhabitants of Penn's Woods. And interactions with Geo III's troops.

View attachment 47280View attachment 47281
Really enjoy the Fort Pitt map horns. I have one by Sibley. I plan on making a bison powder horn like the one at Fort Pitt Museum.

The English don't seem too keen on using Horn to hold their powder, nothing wrong with that, but I was making my version of an English fowler and wondered what a man of means might request for a horn powder flask. This is what I came up with. Hey, poets get license, why shouldn't I?! HaH!
View attachment 47918
Robby
Like, like LIKETY LIKE LIKE

Yes, but it was not HC. Just for fun. Starting a banded horn right now. That should pass muster.
Interesting colors on it. The lower half runs from whites to a blue-grey, and then black at the tip. I have to dig something up for it from my bag of rings.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 138
View attachment 47918
Robby
I like this horn a lot. Like the inlay. and scrimshaw. Unique! Congratulations

View attachment 47918
Robby
Robby you for sure have some serious talent!!

Yes, but it was not HC. Just for fun. Starting a banded horn right now. That should pass muster.
Interesting colors on it. The lower half runs from whites to a blue-grey, and then black at the tip. I have to dig something up for it from my bag of rings.
Pretty horn!

Ended up interesting when finished. Used a red oak base, charred and brushed back before a walnut stain. 2 rings with half circles cut.001 (1024x768).jpg008 (1024x768).jpg010 (1024x768).jpg The tip is water buffalo, threaded.

Latest posts

Back