• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder Horn photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 47385
The rings are carved out of the body, not added on, that was job in nd of itself while trying to maintain its natural curve which was pleasing to me, a job I will never do again. Poor old horn, nozzle split so I made a ferrule to hold it tight, slung it over my shoulder one day and smacked it into a hard post cracking it pretty bad and repairing it with some deer rawhide. All in all it has served me well and is my favorite one.
Robby
I have never seen rings done in this fashion, usually they are applied to the horn / shrunk onto it!! I have never heard of it being done this way? KUDDOS, to you!

View attachment 47385
The rings are carved out of the body, not added on, that was job in nd of itself while trying to maintain its natural curve which was pleasing to me, a job I will never do again. Poor old horn, nozzle split so I made a ferrule to hold it tight, slung it over my shoulder one day and smacked it into a hard post cracking it pretty bad and repairing it with some deer rawhide. All in all it has served me well and is my favorite one.
Robby
you should name THE HARD LUCK HORN??
View attachment 47386
View attachment 47387
I made this set a loooong time ago when I was just starting out and had no preconceived ideas about how it should be done, so I pretty much just had at it, experimenting as I went along. It led to many interesting times and even more interesting people, people that encouraged me to go on and do other things such as making guns and stuff.
Robby
oh my GOD, just pure beauty!!

That picture was actually a 2000 mile solo
Motorcycle camping trip through Canada I decided to do after nearly getting killed by an 85 year old guy a few years earlier. Oh, and I wanted to do it for my 60th birthday.View attachment 47398
It wasn't always nice out. This was day two in the rain, in the tent, with the arthritis!
well at least you GOTT ER DONE!!!

View attachment 47385
Robby
Look like life scars. Adds tons of authenticity to it.

B2EB73D7-617F-447B-9C13-DAA3FB5F0448.jpeg
I’m almost embarrassed to post this picture as many of you are so good at making horns, but with the exception of buying a couple of raw horns already polished, I’ve made them all, As you can tell. Some I made while in high school 45+ years ago. I grew up ranching and after branding and de-horning, I was never for want of a horn to work with.

View attachment 47518I’m almost embarrassed to post this picture as many of you are so good at making horns, but with the exception of buying a couple of raw horns already polished, I’ve made them all, As you can tell. Some I made while in high school 45+ years ago. I grew up ranching and after branding and de-horning, I was never for want of a horn to work with.
Nothing wrong with that collection. I'll take any of them that are just to horrible to own any longer. It's what we do for each other here on the forum, lol

View attachment 47518I’m almost embarrassed to post this picture as many of you are so good at making horns, but with the exception of buying a couple of raw horns already polished, I’ve made them all, As you can tell. Some I made while in high school 45+ years ago. I grew up ranching and after branding and de-horning, I was never for want of a horn to work with.
Those are nice horns Griff!!! I'd carry any one of them!
Robby

View attachment 47386
View attachment 47387
I made this set a loooong time ago when I was just starting out and had no preconceived ideas about how it should be done, so I pretty much just had at it, experimenting as I went along. It led to many interesting times and even more interesting people, people that encouraged me to go on and do other things such as making guns and stuff.
Robby
Just short of the birth of my kids and that 7th grade crush I had on Beth Kershaw, that’s the prettiest thing I ever seen!!!! Lol

View attachment 47386
View attachment 47387
Robby
Some how, "WOW' just doesn't do it.
Neil

Man, you ought to be able to find whatever you're looking for in that assortment. All very nice! I have a very nice Pedersoli flintlock that would be happy to have any of those horns for company on my wall.
Neil

Is there any special angle or the way the base (big end) is cut off? Some horns appear to be square or at a right angle to the body of the horn. Or is it to a personal matter of taste, like to each his own?

Latest posts

Back