• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder Horn photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mohawk Valley 1777

Attachments

• 023 (1024x768).jpg
    023 (1024x768).jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 026 (1024x768).jpg
    026 (1024x768).jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 014 (1024x768).jpg
    014 (1024x768).jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 021 (768x1024).jpg
    021 (768x1024).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 020 (1024x768).jpg
    020 (1024x768).jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 019 (1024x768).jpg
    019 (1024x768).jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 198
Old one. Made it for a friends retirement. Map is his area of the Adirondacks.
The base was made from a piece of apple from the wood pile.
Beautiful horn! Did you call that one, "lost in the Adirondacks"? ;)

Stippling on that one. I knew a guy that made full size posters, Indian women, horses, snakes and Southwest landscapes. One dot at a time.
Mind blowing it didn't make him blind.
This one is for Clyde. Loves to watch me shoot out back. Cant take him hunting, he has setter brains and would be gone.
Has a few years left in him. Doesn't know it but this is his urn. I'll date it, glue in the spout and hang him up with the guns on the wall.
He thinks his job is protecting me from the fox, pictured on the back.
I think getting that Celtic knot thingy around the top was the hardest part.
What a cool way to honor your pal.

I have made a few over the years. I do not have the talent of a lot of these guys but this "Join or Die" one turned out ok. I reversed the picture to better go with the horn as I'm a southpaw shooter. The second one I bought from someone and as it was somewhat 'period crude' [ and I do not mean that in a bad way,I like the horn] I braided a hemp cord for it and scrimmed an exact copy of an Indian [ with a big head] in a canoe
100_3785.JPG
100_3156.JPG
that my Dad drew for me when I was a little boy over 60 years ago onto it.

Those are the ones that mean the most.
I still carry an aluminum fly box that was my dads from when he was 10. He wrote his name and address in it with a pencil.
I still use it, and think of him every time I open it. Bought during the great depression, I think it must have meant the world to him at that time.
Means more to me now, I think.

I'll be sending a picture of my old serviceable one shortly, just not tonight, It can't compare to the "works of art" that's been shown so far and isn't meant to. I like it and it does the job a powderhorn is supposed to.

IMG_0327.jpeg

The rings are carved out of the body, not added on, that was job in nd of itself while trying to maintain its natural curve which was pleasing to me, a job I will never do again. Poor old horn, nozzle split so I made a ferrule to hold it tight, slung it over my shoulder one day and smacked it into a hard post cracking it pretty bad and repairing it with some deer rawhide. All in all it has served me well and is my favorite one.
Robby

IMG_0295.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

I made this set a loooong time ago when I was just starting out and had no preconceived ideas about how it should be done, so I pretty much just had at it, experimenting as I went along. It led to many interesting times and even more interesting people, people that encouraged me to go on and do other things such as making guns and stuff.
Robby

Hammock. Bike. Cabelas tent.
Roughing it? That must be her feet? :p :):thumb: She looks comfortable.
That picture was actually a 2000 mile solo
Motorcycle camping trip through Canada I decided to do after nearly getting killed by an 85 year old guy a few years earlier. Oh, and I wanted to do it for my 60th birthday.
KIMG0113.jpeg

It wasn't always nice out. This was day two in the rain, in the tent, with the arthritis!

Back