• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

powder horn hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 1/4", tapered. But that can vary. A lot depends if you are using a pre made plug and have to drill a hole for it, or drill a hole first and make the plug fit the hole.
Check your work on a scrap of wood first and get used to using a reamer. You can go from too tight to sloppy loose fast if you rush it.

I also go with 1/4". I put a 1/2" dowel in a drill chuck and use it as a lathe. This way I can have a section of 1/4" and taper it out for a good fit. Cut some grooves on the 1/2" part for looks.

You want it snug but not a real tight fit. A real tight fit would act as a wedge and possibly split the horn.

Speaking of scrap wood, is there any kind of wood that one should avoid or shouldn't use? Like it could swell up due to moisture and possibly split the neck of the horn.

Swelling and splitting the horn would be more of a result of getting the horn walls at the tip too thin I would think. Softwood spout plugs that swell that much would have me concerned about humidity reaching the powder. Leave a little meat at the tip and the horn should not split. Mine never have, anyway.
You live in the land of mesquite, a very nice wood for horn tips and plugs. Properly fitted and tapered your tip should friction fit like a peg in a violin head. Maybe even a little squeak as you twist it into place.

Back