• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder horn funnel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to the Doctor last week, and he used a lighted scope to look in my ears, etc. I asked the Doctor if I could have some of those plastic scope funnels. It looks like they will make excellent powder horn funnels !! The small end needs to be trimmed back a bit to enlarge the hole for better powder flow.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• funnel.JPG
    funnel.JPG
    986.7 KB · Views: 3
Find one of the kits of the older orifice examining funnels. Got one of the early kits at the flea mkt.. It is genuine plastic , totally timeless , not historically correct , but everlasting. Most of the funnel shaped parts are almost identical , and ya can pass 'em out , so everyone has a powder horn funnel.

I tried those. They worked but were too small for my hands.

Catheter tip syringe, 30 or 50 cc, works well. Larger volume and easier to hold. You may have to reshape the tip. Any large pharmacy should have them.

You could also go to the store and get a turkey baster. Pull off the rubber ball and reshape the tip.

Ironhand

I went to the Doctor last week, and he used a lighted scope to look in my ears, etc. I asked the Doctor if I could have some of those plastic scope funnels. It looks like they will make excellent powder horn funnels !! The small end needs to be trimmed back a bit to enlarge the hole for better powder flow.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Great idea! I use a small black plastic funnel about that same size that works very well. Have no recollection of where it came from.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Interesting. Went to a clinic last week and spied some of those. The doc gave me a hand full of them. I don't need them for my powder horn but I was out to see how they would do when loading my .32 Crockett Rifle. So darn easy to spill powder during loading. I suppose it did help a little but not all that much.

You might laugh at this .. but I just roll a small piece of paper into a cone, throw a piece of scotch tape on it to hold together, and start filling. Been doing that for 40 years.
To fill my Colt pistol flask, I do the same, but I cut off the end of a 300 weatherby mag casing, to make a little funnel, that fits perfectly into the opening after the spout is unscrewed. Depress the spring, and it holds it open, allowing my silly paper funnel to be used without having to contort myself to hold the spring while pouring powder.

I think the doctor funnels are a neat deal but I’ve always just made a “funnel” with my thumb and first finger around the horn spout and poured. It’s cheap and so far I have lost or misplaced it.

Back