• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder grade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideally fffg. Could use ffg if need be. As for brand, well whatever you can get. Some brands have a bit more 'oompf' than others. some have a bit less fouling than others. In the end it's all what you like and can actually buy.

In most small calibers I've found one can't beat 3F for accuracy. Goex 3F is all I use in a .32 but 3F OE could certainly equal that or more. OE would spit that little ball out the muzzle some faster, I'd think. Either would be excellent, IMHO.

Whatever shoots the best in your particular rifle. Try a little of this and a little of that. Good luck. Range report required.

Nobody really answered well did they?
They're right, either would be fine, both are Goex products and ya cain't go wrong with Goex 3f. Olde Eynsford is/was Goex answer to Swiss powder. Swiss has always used a specific grade of Alder wood processed for their charcoal, it's unique to them and their powders. So Goex finally created a refined process for their Olde Eynsford brand.
What it all amounts too for us end user's is the resultant bore fouling properties/differences left after a shot..
Bore fouling condition is important when in multiple shot competition and less important for the hunter.
But because there are several different techniques an individual shooter can use with his rifle it's best to experiment with different powders.
Sound confusing? It's simple really, just find a process or technique your comfortable with and able to repeat consistently to maintain bore condition,, then try both powders

I had a supply of Elephant 2F so I just put a few .50 caliber lead balls in my horn and it ground the powder as I used it. You can also just take a wood block and crush larger granules smaller if need be. It all shot fine in my .32 and .40

Nobody can answer your question. Except to say that you should try both if you’re curious or whichever is most readily available to you if you aren’t. SOME people might even recommend GOEX 4f and with the small charges you’ll use it might be a good choice. (Heaven forfend!!)

Swiss 3fg equivalent is likely to be the cleanest of the black powders as well as the most energetic.(and expensive). However the least fouling and most accurate on target sometimes have little correlation.

Both of the originally mentioned black powders are good. And to the list I would add Swiss, Scheutzen, and Wano, Graf's House brand is also a good, reliable powder. The best performing black powder will be the brand you use to work up to develop an accurate load.

Latest posts

Back