• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Flasks for pre-Flintlock Arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
European Sycamore is Acer pseudoplatanus which is a maple. American Sycamore is Platanus occidentalis (London Planetree is Platanus x acerifolia, a cross of European Sycamore and Asian Planetree.) Linden (Tillia spp) is a family of trees that includes some native to North America (generically called “basswood”) and some native to Europe (called “linden,” though in Ireland and the UK it’s commonly called “lime.”) Linden is a softer wood with little grain, excellent for carving. Basswood has excellent bast fibres used by many Native people to make cordage.
Which is likely to be more than any of y’all wanted to learn tonight. 🤣 I’m blaming the historic woodworking conference I’m attending this weekend…
Jay
Where’s the conference?

Tom R.

Where’s the conference?

Tom R.
Colonial Williamsburg. It’s the annual Working Wood conference. When Jay Gaynor started it, I was working in the Carpenters’ Yard, but I was low man on the totem pole and had to work instead. After I left, I couldn’t afford it at non-employee rates. This year the museum paid for 3 of us to go! It has been *amazing*.
Jay

FYI, thought it best to post here, versus under Vendors, as it is a very targeted audience here. On Facebook (no website I know of ... ) there is a manufacturer of old time powdah flasks, out of Poland, going by the name Old Guard Manufacture.

The cost of these items (no price on the Pulverin) are to follow and shipping for one to the USA, to Boston, was quoted as 26 Euro. Right now multiply Euro by 1.08 to get approximate US $$.

A , D & E - 225 Euro ... B - 134 Euro ... C - 140 Euro ... but confirm the pricing BEFORE purchasing, just in case there was an error in translation and copying.

View attachment 192650View attachment 192651View attachment 192652View attachment 192653View attachment 192654View attachment 192655View attachment 192656View attachment 192657View attachment 192658View attachment 192659
Too many sharp corners for me but I like the Patron & the row of sizes is great . All strength to their bow .
Regards Rudyard

I only know the European Sycamore Jay. Sometimes called a linden I think!
"To where for me, the apple tree doth lean down low in Linden Lee " Old school days song might be the poetic name for Sycamore ?. Wood has more regional names for the same tree than you could shake a stick at at any woodyard in England .& never take the Office records for true, just ask the men in the Timber yard they could useually find a bit you wanted . Rudyard

Colonial Williamsburg. It’s the annual Working Wood conference. When Jay Gaynor started it, I was working in the Carpenters’ Yard, but I was low man on the totem pole and had to work instead. After I left, I couldn’t afford it at non-employee rates. This year the museum paid for 3 of us to go! It has been *amazing*.
Jay
What were some of the highlights?

What were some of the highlights?
Mary May came in and did a couple of carving demonstrations specifically on the pediments of 1770s Philadelphia highboys, but the techniques are more widely applicable. Presentations from the joiners and cabinetmakers on a couple of different pieces of furniture and on raised panel archways. One of the carpenters did a neat talk on hidden African cultural symbols that they’ve found on some of the original buildings- 42% of the population of Williamsburg was Black in the 1770s, including many of the tradespeople. One of the conservators did a presentation on japanning. Nothing from the gunsmiths, and Pukka, I haven’t seen Wallace in years. He’s still around, we just don’t run in the same circles.
Jay

Yikes! Glad I bought a 'repro' one from Old Guard Mfgr for ~160 Euro ... ! :ghostly:

Flask.jpg

Hi Flint

I'm guessing that flask will go for at least the high estimate. Will be interesting to see the hammer price next month.

The closest item I have in my collection is this carved and engraved sporting flask that's still in working condition. Michael Tommer was able to ID this flask as a genuine Nuremberg piece dating between 1570-1575. It's in great condition, nothing missing.

Rick
european flask 001 (Medium).jpg
european flask 003 (Medium).jpg
european flask 002 (Medium).jpg
european flask 006 (Medium).jpg

Back