• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I see lots of horns but realy want powder flask that would been used english civil war or the colonies

Hi Buzz: What you're looking for would be a trapezoid powder flask. There are loose copies available mainly in England (and they are indeed loose); there is also an all copper version I've seen available in the US, but it too has a very "loose" historical place. Custom built correct ones are very expensive, $450 and up if a maker has the time to construct one for you. American ones differed from the English in that they were simply wood-sided (often with curly maple) as opposed to being covered in felt or leather. They also often have tell-tale scalloped sheet iron trim and a simple stoppered spout in antler or brass (as opposed to the English levered spout). The American ones look really neat; I believe there are extant examples in Plymouth and Deerfield, MA and in Jamestown, VA. As far as anyone can tell, the American powder horn form wasn't prevalent until into the 18th century.

Smollett

Thanks yeah i hoping find a loose copy or ppics and go from there just not interested in a horn horn

Back