• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadecummings

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve been considering for a while now of getting a new powder flack I have a traditions tube flask that came with my first revolver kit I bought years ago when I was around 16 but now I want something more traditional I have an opportunity to buy one made by colt from the 1800s but I’ve been told they don’t poor a consistent powder charge. Has anyone had any experience with power flasks originals or reproductions? any advice or reviews would be appreciated.

I am presently somewhat interested in flasks myself and am awaiting some input on this subject. I took the top of my flask off to clean it and misplaced the screws (again). Until I find the screws or some replacements that thing is just a paperweight.

Zonie used to help me out when I had a question concerning flasks. He had this book, Riling's "The Powder Flask Book", that really seemed to have the answers.

The consistency of the powder charge depends a lot on the user’s technique. However, black powder is a very forgiving propellant, and for most of us mortals who are not champion shooters a couple of grains more or less, from one load to the next, will make no discernible difference.

Most flasks have a cut-off gate or valve inside the top. Put your finger over the spout, invert the flask, open the valve or gate with your thumb to let the spout fill with powder, then release your thumb to let the valve or gate close. You then dump the measured charge by removing your finger from the tip of the spout.

If you have a flask and a scale, try pouring a half dozen or so charges and weighing each one. That should give you some idea of how consistent you are.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I lost a screw out of my flask. Went to the hardware store and bought a selection of tiny screws. One fit perfectly. The head sticks out, but as beat up as my flask is it's no big deal.

If you're referring to the Colt Walker type flask, with a push to throw the charge, the few places I've read about the originals said they were consistent enough for military field use. Pressing the flask into the cylinder chambers to save time was more valued than precision.

1663795083282.png

Pedersoli makes reproductions of them, but somewhat hard to find. I noticed the possible shop shows them in stock (but not many of the others).
https://possibleshop.com/p-g-flask.html

Back