• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

POWDER FLASK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after all isn't it a repop!! what does one expect? some times a bad one slips through!

It's called catch22! I did buy an original, lovely bit of kit. First time I used it the spring broke and i cant find another one.

Rudyard left some flask springs here, Dunks.
Send me measurements and I'll see what we have.
I've made them before now, bit fiddly but they do work.
Someone said on the previous page that the only safe flask is an empty one;
Same goes for a powder horn! LOL!
You Can do stupid stuff with either....
For my sporting guns, I only use a flask.

That's a very fine offer thanks.
The spring is 3mm wide. The diameter of the groove it sits in is 30mm, Spring is fixed with a tiny screw/pin at one end, 15mm along from this pin is a locating pin which goes through a flange.
Having another good look at the repro flask I see that it does not have an external spring and it must be the internal spring system which is jamming.
Thanks again

If the spring is internal they are quite easy to make they are made out of round spring steel with a groove on the inside about 1/8 inch from the left side end and shaped in a circle the opposite end is filed to represent a spade end. The circle should be a shade smaller so it has to be stretch to engage the slot in the slide, what I use is a light 1 inch coil spring and cut a link from it, file in the groove and spade the opposite end .
Feltwad

Does your flask have a top like this one in the image
Feltwad
100_1854.JPG

The repro one does, but the spring on that one is strong. But it sticks. It's been sent back.The one with a broken spring is different

Last edited:
It's called catch22! I did buy an original, lovely bit of kit. First time I used it the spring broke and i cant find another one.
any good pistol / gun smith could make one for you.

Just an update. Sent the flask back and got a full refund. They were aware of the fault.
Some kind person has promised me a powder horn. Cant wait to see it!

Hmmmm... I bought a trio of the inexpensive Traditions brass flasks.
Many hundred (thousands?) of pours from them. No issues.
Maybe a different brand is what you need. What you are buying seems to have severe quality issues....

Back