• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

POWDER FLASK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNKS

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi. new to muzzle loading and getting kit together.
Bought myself a new Hawkesly powder flask. Lovely bit of kit but lever to open the slide jams open. It's the powder that jams it! works perfectly without powder. Powder is 2f and dry. Comments please.

I can't help either as the flasks I've used all seem to work well, but I also second not loading directly from a flask unless it is the first shot of the day. After that I always pour the powder into a measure and from there down the barrel.

You might try to open and close the valve a number of times to see if there is a burr catching and maybe use will smooth it out.

Thank you all for the wise words. Yes I did know, but better to be safe than sorry. The flask works smooth as silk without powder.

Now as I think about it, I've had a couple of flasks that had to have the valve lever pushed shut with the thumb because they did what you are describing DUNKS. I've done it so often I don't even think about it. I just put my index finger over the tube, invert the flask, open the valve with my thumb and push it shut with my thumb before dumping the powder.

Hi. new to muzzle loading and getting kit together.
Bought myself a new Hawkesly powder flask. Lovely bit of kit but lever to open the slide jams open. It's the powder that jams it! works perfectly without powder. Powder is 2f and dry. Comments please.
Switch to 3f and try again or look for a larger spout. The flask spout may be too small for 2f.

Thanks but it's the slider that sticks. Spout is very wide.
My point being if the slider only sticks when you're using 2f powder it's highly probable it's being caused by the size of the powder grain. The sliders are usually built into the spouts and the spouts are interchangeable.

What you have is a repro see image if it is one of these then it was made in India . The trouble is the slide it is a fit between the top and bottom plate which result in a built up of powder mostly like dust so the slide does not move it is a common problem with these flasks.
Feltwad
100_1039.JPG

Yes Mr Feltwad it is repro I am sure what you are saying is it's not fit for purpose. I will return it!

use POWERDED GRAPHITE, it is used on lock's & reloading POWDER MEASURE'S where you cannot use a liquid penetrant to lube it. as it will degrade the powder & also on your RELOADING DIE THREADS..

I think that @Kansas Jake has the simplest solution. You have your thumb on the valve lever to the cut off gate. Push the lever back in position and the gate will close.

Note the G in FFg is for graphite. There should be plenty of graphite in the powder you are using.

Other than taking the flask all apart and polishing the parts that are rubbing, the manual closing is my recommendation.

f it was as easy as that i would do it. WHEN OPENED AND WITH POWDER THE SLIDER STICKS SOLID. you would break the lever off before it moved. Only way to free it it to keep jiggling it and slowly it goes back. I have a week to return the flask. It's going back!

I think that @Kansas Jake has the simplest solution. You have your thumb on the valve lever to the cut off gate. Push the lever back in position and the gate will close.

Note the G in FFg is for graphite. There should be plenty of graphite in the powder you are using.

Other than taking the flask all apart and polishing the parts that are rubbing, the manual closing is my recommendation.
The G is for granules. F' indicate size.

Last edited:
Based on information I have learned for many years and verified by the Firearms History and Technology site the lower case g is an indication of Sporting grade powder.

https://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2016/07/black-powder-iv-powder-grain-sizes.html
Note that in the tumbling of the sporting grade powder a bit of graphite is added to smooth the granules for easier flow in the flasks and measures. The blasting powders do not have extra tumbling and no graphite or g in the granule size.

Regardless of what the g in the FFg label means, the g in the size designation does also mean that graphite is present.

Back