• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
found this in a box of stuff i got at a auction, just wandering if it is a modern or maybe a older flask. There is no markings that i can see and i dont want to clean on it to much. Thought maybe you'all could look and give any info on this.
IMG_20200917_205708.jpgIMG_20200917_205721.jpgIMG_20200917_205818.jpgIMG_20200917_205839.jpgIMG_20200917_205853.jpgIMG_20200917_205909.jpgIMG_20200917_205926.jpgIMG_20200917_205939.jpgIMG_20200917_205948.jpg

It looks like flask # 365 in Ray Riling's book, "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK". (p. 291). The author classifies it as a "Shell & Bush" design.

The flask was made by American Flask & Cap Company. (p. 286) The American Flask & Cap Company was located at 52 Beekman Street, New York, with its manufacturing plant at Waterbury, Conn. It was formed in 1857 and was taken over by Waterbury Brass Company in the late 1860's.

There are repos that look similar, but there ain’t a lot of money in the antique flask market, and boys that do collect them know how to tell a bull from a steer. That sure looks like an old to me

I agree with the others. It looks like an old, original flask. A lot of little features it has, plus the patina and general appearance leads me to that conclusion.

a rely great score! now don't go crazy and clean up the years of PETINA that it has acuminated on it. it will take another 100+ yrs. to replicate it.

I agree with all.
Used to be, I think (not so clearly) that some repros used brass screws.
Antique screws were always, always, always iron/steel, never brass.

Thanks for all the info guys, not really wanting to part with it my plan is just to put a leather strap on it and hang it on the wall.

Looks original to me. I would clean it up and use it. from using it, the patina gained from sitting idol will wear off and an honest patina will be added to what is already there.
Robby

Back