• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder flask with a compartment for bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrey22

Pilgrim
Reaction score
My friend asked me to make him a powder flask, looked like European powder flasks of the 17th century, with a compartment for bullets.
For several days we searched for various photos of old powder flasks and found some interesting photos.
powder%20flask%20-%201.jpg

powder%20flask%20-%202.jpg

I decided to make the powder flask out of the horn. I found a beautiful horn of a yak.
In Siberia, in the Altai mountains, a yak is called a Sarlyk (сарлык).
powder%20flask%20-%203.jpg

powder%20flask%20-%204.jpg

Previously, I did not try to make the horn flat and decided to practice on the horn of an ordinary cow.
I heated the horn for 3 hours in a boiling water boiler. For installation inside the horn, I made a mandrel of wood. When the horn became a little soft, I inserted a wooden mandrel into it and squeezed it in a vise. At the same time, I installed sheets of plywood in the vice lips.
powder%20flask%20-%205.jpg

I made a flat horn with a wooden base that holds two rare earth magnets. I then made a second base that has holes in it to use as a ball loading block. This base also has two rare earth magnets positioned in the base such that the poles are reversed and thus there is a very strong magnetic bond when the two bases are stuck together. I use this horn mostly for small game hunting. The end pieces have been drilled to hold either .32 or .36 patched balls.

I just looked up this post . My birthplace was Sheffield England it wasn't just noted for steel it had a Horn industry long before the metal Flasks from such firms a Jas Dixon , Sykes , Hawksley ect .I often purchased horns & stag from a horn scale cutter firm .Scarlett & Whiteing on Rockingham Street , long gone but they didn't boil horn to flatten it they heated it till it was about melted then pressed it in a fly press or book press . When apon on cooling the horn stayed flat .If you just boil it , it retains a' memory' and will try to go back to its former state but when' cooked' it will never revert.
Stink the place out but not harm full .Horner's shops, work shops had rows of leg vices and moulds so you could quickly place a hot slab the size to press say a apparently carved butt plate ,razor / knife scale and the horn effectivly was like plastic. once cooled it stayed with its shape & design horn caps for shotguns all kinds of items now made of plastic the workers constantly placing and tightening vices while others released the cooled of items .when all the fash could be trimmed off ready for sale so numerous was this trade There was a pub called' The Pressers Arms ' Might still be.( But many pubs latterly became Day care centers !.) I have made horn butt plates for wheellocks there still flat as a pancake 35 years later . Your basic plan is sound but boiling does not do as good a horn flask as heating will .Roland Cadle noted Pennsylvania Horner gave me two flatted horns , both I made into flasks Scots style .
Regards Rudyard

I made a flat horn with a wooden base that holds two rare earth magnets. I then made a second base that has holes in it to use as a ball loading block. This base also has two rare earth magnets positioned in the base such that the poles are reversed and thus there is a very strong magnetic bond when the two bases are stuck together. I use this horn mostly for small game hunting. The end pieces have been drilled to hold either .32 or .36 patched balls.
what are two RARE EARTH MAGNETS? what does the 2 EARTH MAGNETS in the base do? excuse my ignorance as I have never heard of such things.

In the same way I made a flat horn yak.
On the neck of the horn, I made a groove for the top cover.
powder%20flask%20-%207.jpg

what are two RARE EARTH MAGNETS? what does the 2 EARTH MAGNETS in the base do? excuse my ignorance as I have never heard of such things.
Rare earth magnets are very strong. I don[t know what makes them so strong, but it is very hard to pull them off if stuck to steel. The ones i used on my horn are about 3/8" in diameter. When two are stuck together it is quite difficult to pull them apart. You have to slide them off of each other.

I just looked up this post . My birthplace was Sheffield England it wasn't just noted for steel it had a Horn industry long before the metal Flasks from such firms a Jas Dixon , Sykes , Hawksley ect .I often purchased horns & stag from a horn scale cutter firm .Scarlett & Whiteing on Rockingham Street , long gone but they didn't boil horn to flatten it they heated it till it was about melted then pressed it in a fly press or book press . When apon on cooling the horn stayed flat .If you just boil it , it retains a' memory' and will try to go back to its former state but when' cooked' it will never revert.
Stink the place out but not harm full .Horner's shops, work shops had rows of leg vices and moulds so you could quickly place a hot slab the size to press say a apparently carved butt plate ,razor / knife scale and the horn effectivly was like plastic. once cooled it stayed with its shape & design horn caps for shotguns all kinds of items now made of plastic the workers constantly placing and tightening vices while others released the cooled of items .when all the fash could be trimmed off ready for sale so numerous was this trade There was a pub called' The Pressers Arms ' Might still be.( But many pubs latterly became Day care centers !.) I have made horn butt plates for wheellocks there still flat as a pancake 35 years later . Your basic plan is sound but boiling does not do as good a horn flask as heating will .Roland Cadle noted Pennsylvania Horner gave me two flatted horns , both I made into flasks Scots style .
Regards Rudyard
1591965402799.png
1591965538400.png
Hawksley

Well its a useful flask the top looks remarkably pristine such tops have been made in modern times in India some extremely well done others less so I know because I was tradeing in India & had flasks made in the 70s .
Regards Rudyard

It's an original, I spent a good bit of time restoring it, had to cut close to an inch off the bottom because of damage, the top I wet sanded and polished, the screw is pitted and I'm not going to change it (not sure it would come out complete). Anyway, I don't wish to run over the original thread.
1591997092421.png

DBrevit:
Thank you for the picture of that flasks top. :)

I have a brass flask (#370 in "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK ) that has a similar top on it and up to now I hadn't tried to remove the top. After seeing your picture I thought to myself, "I wonder if my flask will actually unscrew like that?".
That said, I tried it and with no effort at all, the top easily unscrewed. Up until now, I thought the three pins (which turned out to be sharpened tacks) were what holding the top on. The actual joint is between the grooved top and the cylindrical part that has the three pins in it and the fit of that joint is so good that you can't actually see it even when you are looking directly at it.
POWDER-FLASKweb.jpg

In India, and now they are making copies of British powder flasks.
Their quality is not very good.
DSC02305-1.jpg

DSC02301-1.jpg

Rare earth magnets are very strong. I don[t know what makes them so strong, but it is very hard to pull them off if stuck to steel. The ones i used on my horn are about 3/8" in diameter. When two are stuck together it is quite difficult to pull them apart. You have to slide them off of each other.
thanks for the come back. but where does one get them?

Back