• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder flask in Bag or Chest Strap ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the Traditions Brass Powder kit.
Was wondering what would be more appropriate, put everything in a shooting bag or make a pocket strap that goes across the chest for the powder flask and measure etc..
I would thing it being more convenient and faster to just grab the flask thats on a belt then fumble in a bag, again, this is for the brass flask version.
Ive seen pics of the belt accessories style but dont recall the pics location to show,
Thanks!

It depends on the style. Some large flask are made to ride outside a bag like horn on its own strap or a strap connected to the bag. Some are made to drop into a bag.
Should you shoot 70 grains, about an average charge for many of our guns you get about six shots per ounce. A four ounce flask fits well in a bag and will give about twentyfive shots.
A bigger eight ounce flask won’t fit in a bag well and is inconvenient.
Some cheeper flask are not real tight and you could get a spark in on. Unlikely but possible and in bag would be safer. Good flask are as tight as a good horn.
A pistol, or small caliber rifle is real handy with a small flask, or bag horn.

Always keep a powder flask in a shooting bag any other way is un safe
Feltwad

I want my powder in the bag, I do not like dangling things, the bag is enough.

Dangling things get caught on trees limbs/brush and whatever there is in the woods.

Since I do not squirrel hunt, I only need powder for 5 shots.

seemanhuntingbag.jpg

Spence

Three of my horns are on the straps of my shooting bags. I seldom take a "flask" when hunting preferring premeasured loads. Squirrel hunting is a notable exception when the bag/horn are worn. Metal flasks make me (just) slightly nervous around flintlocks.

Wont be dangling, its got it own pocket on a strap like a modern belt magazine holder.
So the consensus would be keep in bag unless using a horn.
I figure this guy could fit in a leather "holster" and the rest in the bag.
Thanks!
A1201.jpg

QUOTE="NeilMacleod, post: 1698629, member: 31136"]
Wont be dangling, its got it own pocket .
Thanks!
A1201.jpg

[/QUOTE]
I have an old CVA flask near identical to that. (mine says "CVA" not "Traditions", and has a different valve. Otherwise the same)
Round about 1994, I soldered a copper starburst inaly I made on it, and on the bottom cap a small brass tube around 1/4 inch ID, and 1/2 inch long for a strap.
Works better than in a bag or pocket for me.

Wont be dangling, its got it own pocket on a strap like a modern belt magazine holder.
So the consensus would be keep in bag unless using a horn.
I figure this guy could fit in a leather "holster" and the rest in the bag.
Thanks!
A1201.jpg
Just be sure to pour in to a measure and not use the spout.

I keep my CVA/Traditions brass tubular flasks inside my shooting bag. They also make a smaller one about half as tall.

When I was reenacting as one of Daniel Morgan's Rifleman I used a Colt .31 pocket flask with a cut down spout to prime with. I kept it in my hunting pouch and it was small enough that I could conceal it in my hand so the public might think I was using a priming horn.

If I were afield using a flask, revolver size or larger, I would carry it slung by a strap and my persona would be 1850ish. If one had concerns about flame finding its way past the valve a simple wood plug like a powder horn inserted in the end of the spout would take care of it and would only take a second to remove with one's teeth.

Haven't thought about plugging the flask spout, yup nothing difficult to plug. the Flask is nice and solid, was surprised how well it felt nothing thin, dont have to work about denting it, nice thick tubing.
:)

I have the Traditions Brass Powder kit.
Was wondering what would be more appropriate, put everything in a shooting bag or make a pocket strap that goes across the chest for the powder flask and measure etc..
I would thing it being more convenient and faster to just grab the flask thats on a belt then fumble in a bag, again, this is for the brass flask version.
Ive seen pics of the belt accessories style but dont recall the pics location to show,
Thanks!
If you have access to some "buckskin" type tanned leather, and aren't really concerned about being hc/pc, you could do something like this,
20200829_143923.jpg20200829_170224.jpg
I put this together many years ago before I got into the more historically correct aspect of all this and felt "olde timey," and "possibly was done," were good enough. And for some they are. This worked out very practically. The strap buttons on to it can be removed and used on a horn with different powder, or the flask can be put in a bag or pocket without the metal clicking and clacking against stuff.

On the left you have an item on the strap, that is what I was getting at, the small flask and measure on a strap across the chest with easy access and the rest in the bag.
Thanks!

For one of those cylindrical flasks I bought the set of small leather bags, two sizes, sold for Lyman black powder sights, stuffed the cylinder flask in the longer one and marked where the button is against the leather, removed the flask, cut a hole just barely big enough for the button, stuffed the flask back in, and there it remained. Easy to carry, non glare, less noise. This was before even the above leather encased pistol flask. Many, many, years ago. I will find it and take a picture to post.

The little bit of leather on the strap holds a cane powder measure to keep it from dangling and swinging around.

With a powder flask used like this I might make a measure that slips over the spout to kill two birds with one stone. Also, pushing it behind you before you fire, just as you should do with a horn, further lowers any chance of an incident. I like the idea of making a leathern pouch as well. Good stuff.

Hunting season here in north central Pa. , can be nasty weather. Any horn , or metal flask doesn't do well in the open. General rule also , always use powder measure , for safety , not the kind screwed to horn or metal flask that dumps charge directly into bore. Know of a guy lost one finger and sustained nasty burn from direct dump. He was lucky beyond belief he didn't loose his face , or more.
Personally , I got a large shot pouch from Crazy Crow and have an ugly twisted small home made powder horn that drops into one compartment of the pouch. Enlarged the flap on the pouch for weatherproofing. If I don't want to carry premeasured charges , I can go ugly horn , and still beat the weather. .....oldwood

Back