• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Flask for Shotguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are these spouts called that drop powder charges for shotguns? This would be more convenient than going from flask to measure to barrel.
I'm only talking about the spout specifically - although I'd like to know where to find a flask with that kind of spout. This seems to me like ot would be less cumbersome while hunting. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Attachments

• Flask_Spout.JPG
    Flask_Spout.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Flask_Spout_II.JPG
    Flask_Spout_II.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
What are these spouts called that drop powder charges for shotguns? This would be more convenient than going from flask to measure to barrel.
I'm only talking about the spout specifically - although I'd like to know where to find a flask with that kind of spout. This seems to me like ot would be less cumbersome while hunting. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

My leather bag drops 79- 80gr OE 3f and works great but there's still the shot to deal with hence the shot snake . But then you mentioned convienents
My powder bag drops 79- 80 gr OE 3F and works great and there's the matter of shot (shot snake) handles that but then you had to mention convenience . Sense my Pedersoli is not exactly PC with screw in chokes (felt wads) overcome that Lanes tubes cover every thing . I weigh charges and shot ,the benefit is obvious and convenient as I can shoot ducks with PC shot and powder charges appropriate and have squirrel/rabbit loads in different screw in colored caps .Woodcock is actually a third category ,only happened once but I was glad as timber doodles wouldn't be much left even with the squirrel load !/Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0447[1].JPG
    IMG_0447[1].JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0448[1].JPG
    IMG_0448[1].JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0449[1].JPG
    IMG_0449[1].JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
I love the appearance and tradition of a powder horn, but will have to confess, a flask with a spout that measures the charge is mighty handy, and that's what I usually take on trips to the range. I do bring along an oversized charger or powder measure, and the powder goes from the flask to the charger to the barrel, to avoid the situation @Feltwad described (yikes !).

You need to find a serviceable antique or a reproduction Hawksley flask.
Veteran arms has one style:
https://veteranarms.com/shop/muskets/Copper-Hawksley-Style-Gunpowder-Flask-p447355886
Henry krank has more variety, but not sure about shipping:
https://www.henrykrank.com/muzzle-loading/powder-shot-measuring/powder-flasks/

@BoomStick Thanks. Yes, Henry Krank has good stuff - I tried to order from him once before and he wouldn’t ship to the US.
Henry Krank has a lot of nice kit, and I actually tried to order a Hawksley flask from them earlier this year, but they declined shipping to the USA. I also found a beautiful antique flask, in excellent condition and fairly priced, from an antique arms dealer and gunsmith in Britain. He was very cordial and responsive when I contacted him, but regretfully informed me he could not ship to the USA, either. He suggested that I could have a British friend buy it for me and ship it as a non-commercial, person-to-person transaction, but I was not in a position to do this and the flask remains in Britain.

I don't know if there is an English law which prohibits sales and shipping to the USA, or if it is just a widely practiced custom or company policy. Either way, I have had no luck ordering blackpowder accessories from Britain.

Track of the Wolf used to stock a full line of the Hawksley flasks, but closed them out a couple of years ago. They are hard to find in the USA now. Several companies make the plain, "workhorse" type cylindrical flasks, but it is my understanding that Davide Pedersoli has cornered the American market for the more traditional styles, and I don't think Pedersoli makes any with the adjustable, "flame-proof" spouts.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Whether I carry a flask depends on what I am hunting. If I am after deer or coyote I will carry a half dozen measured powder charges in the little plastic bottles the pharmacy puts your pills in. I don't expect to need 6 of them, but I could spill one accidentally and you never know. That and a few round balls and patches.
But the flask definitely comes along for birds, small game and ducks. Two flasks actually. One each for powder and shot. And definitely a measure which I like on a thong tied to me or something I won't loose.

At most gun shows you will see antique powder flasks at no more cost than repros.
the container you drop the powder in from a flask does not have to be a measure, as the powder flask can be set for what charge you wish to throw.
I must confess to using a flask in the old fashioned manner very often, but do not endorse it for others!
My old friend Feltwad gives graphic photos to show why!

At most gun shows you will see antique powder flasks at no more cost than repros.
the container you drop the powder in from a flask does not have to be a measure, as the powder flask can be set for what charge you wish to throw.
I must confess to using a flask in the old fashioned manner very often, but do not endorse it for others!
My old friend Feltwad gives graphic photos to show why!
Unfortunately I don't have an oportunity to visit many gun shows. Good ones are a significant distance away from where I live.
Dumping a preset charge into a small cup is no great inconvenience - I had never seen those until Feltwad posted that picture.

I don't use a flask when hunting. I roll paper cartridges. one for premeasured powder and one for premeasured shot when squirrel hunting. Hunting pouch has 3 dividers in it powder, shot and shotgun wads. don't even need to tear open shot, just drop shot cartridge down barrel.

If you keep your eye out these can be had for under $50. I am waiting for this pouch now. The Irish head on a snake is a one hand deal!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220921-165610_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220921-165610_eBay.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220921_165933.jpg
    20220921_165933.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back