• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder drum question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To make holes in shim stock a paper hole punch will work fine. The outside of the shim can be cut with regular scissors. Beer can aluminum is handy shim stock.

Based on the situation I'd use blue loctite.

Your problem started when the drum was removed for cleaning by previous owner or you which should have NEVER been done. The threads were stressed when the drum was removed and replaced which lead to the loose fit. To correct this issue you need to have the drum replaced by a competent ML gunsmith or a GOOD machinist who is familiar with ML guns. Any shimming will only work for a short time and lead to corroding of the drum and barrel threads which will eventually lead to the drum blowing out and possibly injuring someone:eek:.

Never red
Locktite! To remove the drum, it would need to be heated to 600°! I've been through that bummer myself. If the drum has wide enough shoulders, a shim could work. In the past I've used blue loctite for this sort of problem, and it works until you bump the nipple hard enough to rotate the drum despite the blue loctite. Blue loctite isn't meant to be permanent. It did work okay on my breech plug, which rotated too far, but after a while the breech plug shifted anyway.
I wonder if @Paul R ever had remove that drum… I mean, that was 4 years ago…

Your problem started when the drum was removed for cleaning by previous owner or you which should have NEVER been done. The threads were stressed when the drum was removed and replaced which lead to the loose fit. To correct this issue you need to have the drum replaced by a competent ML gunsmith or a GOOD machinist who is familiar with ML guns. Any shimming will only work for a short time and lead to corroding of the drum and barrel threads which will eventually lead to the drum blowing out and possibly injuring someone:eek:.
If I was a betting man my money would go on cancer or a bus running over you before a flying drum from a muzzleloader hits you!

Back