• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder drum question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_R

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Playing around with and cleaning my new rifle I noticed my powder drum was loose. Not flopping around loose but it doesn't fully seat until the nipple is a few degrees past square with the hammer. So when it is square with the hammer it can turn by hand. Is this normal? If not, what's the fix? thanks.

More info needed like model of gun and such. It is not normal though. Was the gun used before you? They are usually pretty tight unless someone was monkeying with it.

It's a custom build from a reputable builder. It is pre owned and has a small siler lock. I suspect it has been monkey'd with but it's not damaged as far as I can tell.

20170723_161839.jpg

If the drum is loose, it may eventually erode from gases leaking past the threads and sometime the drum may blow out. It needs to be fixed, but I'm not the one to tell you how. I suppose the drum needs to be replaced or turned down and threaded for one more turn to get it tight. I don't know if a thin washer of some type would tighten it.

Well I made a paper gasket/washer with just the right amount of crush to seat gudntite with the nipple indexed correctly and used red loctite gel. I'm sure it will go bang but time will tell if it stays sealed.

Track of the wolf sells drums without the nipple mortise drilled and tapped. They also sell a jig that will help you drill and tap the nipple threads exactly where needed.The drum & nipple arrangement suffers from needing support against the hammer blow. Usually the lock plate provided this but not always. Replacing the drum also gives you the chance to increase the thread diameter if the original is 5/16X24 you can upgrade to 3/8X24 and gain additional strength.

I would go with blue Loc-Tite on the threads.

Because of the way Loc-Tite works, the threads on both pieces must be absolutely clean and free of oils or grease.

The blue Loc-Tite is more than strong enough to keep the drum from turning and it has the advantage of allowing the part (drum) to be removed if that is ever needed.
The red Loc-Tite is more for permanent assemblies (although it will break loose if enough heat is applied).

Blue and Red Loctite both have a service temp of -65 to 300 deg F

Blue breaks down and can be removed at 472 deg F
Red Loctite breaks down and can be removed at 500 deg F

I think I would use the Blue
Ron

I went with red gel because it has the best chemical resistance of any thread locker. I use it for fasteners inside motorcycle fuel tanks. And I've used enough of all the colors to know I'm not going to have any problem removing this drum if I ever need to, with it having wrench flats and all.

I was thinking shim(s) and red loctite.
Never red
Locktite! To remove the drum, it would need to be heated to 600°! I've been through that bummer myself. If the drum has wide enough shoulders, a shim could work. In the past I've used blue loctite for this sort of problem, and it works until you bump the nipple hard enough to rotate the drum despite the blue loctite. Blue loctite isn't meant to be permanent. It did work okay on my breech plug, which rotated too far, but after a while the breech plug shifted anyway.

Blue locktite if ya got no shim stock. Auto parts store might have both products. Probable cause of the problem.........Folks taking the drum out to clean the gun. Barrels are made of soft steel. Never remove a drum repeatedly for a foolish reason , like cleaning. Not necessary.

If a shim can actually fit under your drum, this might help you: Lee valley.com shim stock sampler item no. 27K0750. It has semi-hard brass strips in .001, .015, .002, .003, .005, and .010. six inches long and 2 inches wide each (I think). Worth a look. I'm ordering this kit to shim out my breech plug just a tiny bit.

Get a cheap feeler gauge to find out what size shim you might need. Once you determine the thickness required to give you a snug fit, make a washer shim out of that thickness feeler gauge and use some blue locktite when you install the drum with the shim in place.

Thanks Brit. I have to get creative as I have no hole punch set for sheet metal. When my fathers mechanic shop was dissolved , my moron / dunce uncle threw all his stuff away.........oldwood, Thanks again

Back