• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder charge for a Pedersoli .62 cal. Indian Trade Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The loads I quoted were from the Burmingham Prof house London england 2 & 1/2drams 2 ff and 7/&8 once of shot light load and heavy load max service load 2&3/4drams 2 ff and one once of shot.This is what is recommended to be the safe service load in my experience have found to useful in what is considered a light musket These loads shoot quite well out to 25 or 30 yards .
I would Say that A light trade musket Is a full service arm great for hunting and shooting anything But like any thing you find its limitations and lean how to work with them .and you will be successful

What you have found useful is telling. More shot less powder is an old saying. An overload isn’t going to increase range by any real noticeable amount. Even with two oz of shot you might hit a turkey head at forty yards but more likely to miss or hit in feathers. So with a smoothie it will be useful routinely at ranges less then thirty yards. And you don’t need magnum loads, but:
What’s safe and what’s best are two different things. I’m pretty sure my TFC could handle a double load. It won’t make it kill better, but will be safe to shoot. Lyman did test up to three drams and one and 1/8 ounce loads

70-80 grains of 2 F should do it, not sure why you’d try to proof a Pedersoli gun, they’re barrels and machined, and hardened pretty thoroughly. If its an older gun with questionable bore or oxidized bore I’d probably not waste my time trying to shoot it.

Latest posts

Back