• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Brand Differences

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanG

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just getting back into shooting after nearly a 20 year hiatus- all I ever shot before was Goex and it's time to renew my powder supply.

I hear great things about the Swiss powder, but I never hear anything specific.

Curious what anyone who has actually tried the Swiss or the Olde Eynsford has found vs. the Goex and which they prefer and why.

I mostly use 3F in a flintlock if it matters.

Thanks

So far I haven't gotten around to trying either one. I have used Dupont, Elephant, G-O - or something like that - Goex and Jack's Battle Powder. Some like the Swiss and OE are different enough that one might notice a difference in accuracy - either + or -. Forget velocities and go for accuracy. Actually I'd be quite satisfied with any of the above if restricted to just one brand.

I only have experience with Goex & Swiss. Here are my observations (in 3F);
Swiss is more expensive
Swiss fouls slightly less
They smell the same
Swiss smokes less
Swiss gives a little more velocity for the same charge.
Swiss is harder to find at gun stores

The accuracy edge goes ever so slightly to Swiss. 3" groups vs 4" maybe at 50 yards off the bench. Since most of my shooting is offhand with a flinter, and at 25 yards, that accuracy difference isn't enough to make a practical difference, given those parameters. With spit patches I can shoot them both all day long without swabbing.

Thanks. Price isn't a problem- I can only get Goex locally, and it's way overpriced. I can actually order Swiss cheaper.

Cleaner burning and accuracy are always nice though.

Never heard anything about the Olde Eynsford.

I may just order some of the O.E. and maybe 1lb of Swiss to see. Just wish I knew more about them though.

I have shot both. I still prefer Swiss vs OE with respects to accuracy on paper.
Swiss fouling is less, but what is there is harder.
OE fouling is soft and I prefer it in my BL doubles and single shots.

Recent testing of both with a 850gr conical in a ML showed:
75gr Swiss 2f: MV - 950fps
75gr OE 2f: MV - 930fps
100gr OE 1.5f: MV - 950fps

Interesting. Have you tried the O.E. vs the Goex.

I'm pretty much just shooting paper,patched roundball, mostly offhand. i want accuracy above all, and easy loading.

Is the Grafs any different?

Grafs is rebranded Schuetzen powder.

I've only shot Olde E in my guns (and subs). My guns, including my revolvers, are for hunting, and in chambers holding meger amounts of powder I want an energetic powder. I can get .45 ACP performance with 30 grns of 3F in my NMA and warmer than standard .45 Colt performance with my ROA using conicals. A rifle isn't so important but I like to keep things fairly simple. And since Olde E is barely a dollar more than standard Goex there's no real reason anyway.

As Swiss is more expensive I'll keep buying Olde E, though I may one day compare them side by side. The performance is quite similar anyway, and Goex is American.

Here's a little comparison another had done:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6410.0.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't shot Goex since last century.
If you have access to different types of BP, you are a lucky man!
I pick mine up at Friendship.

For bench accuracy with weighed charges, in my .48 target riffle I use 2f Swiss. My offhand .54 and .62 like Grafs 2f. The Grafs loads nice without cleaning between shots for me.

I use 3f Goex or O.E. In my smaller caliber offhand riffles with measured powder charges.

I shoot a lot of Swiss and Schuetzen powder. Most recently FFFg in my TVA 45 cal. Pennsylvania rifle, accuracy is identical, both produce 1/2" groups at 50 yards and 3" groups at 100 yards. I have no preference. Although the fouling of the Swiss may be a bit softer.

However Swiss gets the nod in anything over 50 cal. I especially like Swiss 1 1/2 Fg in my 54 smooth bore Isaac Haines, accuracy to 70 yards is scary good.

I have old Elephant (1996), newer, improved Elepant (1999), KIK (2000), Diamonback, Goex, and Swiss. I prefer Goex fffg in my flint and percussion guns because the fouling is soft enough to continue shooting as long as I care to without cleaning. Swiss makes more barrel heat, so the fouling dries harder and I feel the need to wipe after 2-3 shots.

I like GOEX very much, both in shooting results AND because being made IN the USA I'm not worrying about some sort of future importation restriction.

I have shot Elephant :barf:
Elephant morphed in Diamondback :barf: Too dirty, but very inexpensive for a while so good for reenactment blanks. GOEX came out with a "reenactor grade" powder that pretty much eliminated the cost advantage for using Diamondback for blanks for me, plus Diamonback is imported...

I also shoot Graf's which is Scheutzen with a different label. Not finished evaluating it but it looks like a less expensive alternative to GOEX if one is paying super high shipping prices as we do here in the People's Republic of Maryland. However, I'm close enough to Virginia that I can make a powder run and get the GOEX at a good price.

LD

My experience has been Goex and Scheutzen give identical performance.
However, Swiss, despite needing lesser charges, will not give me the groups I get with the other two brands. Dunno why :idunno: , but that is my experience with it.

I thinkl we all have access to different BP types/brands thanks to the internet.

I wound up ordering a pound of the Swiss and a pound of the Olde Eynsford- so I guess I'll see.

Locally all I can get is Goex, and the shop charges nearly $40 for a pound, so even with the Hazardous materials charge it is still cheaper for me to mail order. Plus the people at Grafs are a lot nicer than the local shop.

Still don't get the O.E. vs Goex thing since they are the same manufacture and only like a dollar apart- is there a real difference?

Alan G said:
I wound up ordering a pound of the Swiss and a pound of the Olde Eynsford- so I guess I'll see.

Locally all I can get is Goex, and the shop charges nearly $40 for a pound, so even with the Hazardous materials charge it is still cheaper for me to mail order. Plus the people at Grafs are a lot nicer than the local shop.

Still don't get the O.E. vs Goex thing since they are the same manufacture and only like a dollar apart- is there a real difference?

Corolla vs camry a bit of difference. Enough for the $$ :idunno: shoot n see. and let us know what ya find.

Maine Powder House has free shipping on case lots. $40/# for any BP is ABSURD! :shake:

Goex vs OE? Probably just a bit more time in the wheel mill accounting for a more dense powder and more expense.

As I understand it, the OE was made to compete with Swiss.

Swiss is a "sporting powder" with a higher percentage of the oxidizer in it than regular black powder. That's what gives it the extra power.

I'm pretty sure GOEX made up OE with a similar amount of this oxidizer to get similar power so, if I'm right, there is a lot more to it than how it is ground or glazed.

Personally I find Schuetzen powder to be very similar to Swiss and a whole lot less expensive. And Grafs house brand is, in fact, relabeled Schuetzen and less expensive still. My experience is admittedly limited compared to many but it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back