• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

powder bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need a limber box not a "bag" as you will want to have your fuse, slowmatch, gloves, safety glasses, vent prick, vent brush, and cartridges in there. Also some way to support or a rack for your rammer, wet sponge dry sponge, worm, and linstock. Usually the implements have mounts on the carriage as well as a hook for your water bucket.

Use an upside down water glass for a form and wrap aluminum foil around it 1 1/2 times. Pour black powder (cannon grade or larger) into a Thin non-ziplock plastic bag and seal by tucking the edge. Use the formed foil cup and place the plastic wrapped powder inside. Fold the foil over the end of the cartridge and mark it with an "x" to denote front towards muzzle. Place in limber box in separate cubbyholes. Mission accomplished. Use this information at your own risk. George.

I don't use bags or foil cartridges Because even if I made them spherical they would still exceed the maximum powder charge for my cannon.
I made a measure on the end of a long stick instead.
Fill measure, insert and rotate 180 degrees, tap and extract.

Nothing to smolder or extract after firing.
Works for me.

I would think you would still run the same risk as most any muzzleloader for smoldering powder. Just thinking of the wall gun (1 inch bore) that went off accidently upon reloading in St Augustine. One of the reasons I have been taught to worm, wet swab, dry swab, then load with foil cartridge is the wet swab would extinguish (and by wet just damp) any embers. Then the dry swab would "dry" the barrel. Finally loading in foil adds another layer of protection just in case something might have got by. Alternatively it removes the risk of pouring and measuring powder on the line having each charge premeasured and ready.

As far as making the charges I use a double layer of heavy duty foil turned 90 degrees to each other. The foil is formed around the former (turned on a lathe for each gun so the foil wrapped charge slides in easy) with a hole drilled thru it (to facilitate removal from the form).

3 inch bore, 5.5 feet cannon I helped to build.
313956_267959049898079_4460844_n.jpg

I'm with you, I won't be found anywhere near folks who aren't BP foil loading, and swabbing correctly between shots.....one wrong issue, and lots of messy bloody things!!!
Cannons are CANNONS........ :surrender:

I enjoyed my 2", she's been long time sold, but I followed all the safe practices, and we all had fun shooting them poor trees...... :grin:

marc n tomtom

Back