• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Potted Beef

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the Vienna Sausage original bland, BUT they make a spicey version now, that's pretty tasty. Still enough salt to embalm a small child, though.

LD

My father was a bull dozer operator back in the day when the operator had to actually drive the machine, He wanted a warm meal in the middle of winter he placed a can of the lunch staple Vienna Sausage on the exhaust manifold. You, guessed it, exploded everywhere.

My father was a bull dozer operator back in the day when the operator had to actually drive the machine, He wanted a warm meal in the middle of winter he placed a can of the lunch staple Vienna Sausage on the exhaust manifold. You, guessed it, exploded everywhere.

Yeah I tried that will a can of Devil'd Ham... on an old style, theater, light "dimmer"....when it blew I was facing it and when I jumped backwards my sweatshirt moved upwards and thus exposed my belly...., that stuff stuck like napalm and although it didn't ignite, it was hot enough to raise a blister or two.

LD

My dad and I both used this method to heat soup or hobo pies for field lunches. The secret is to puncture the can lid before placing it on the manifold. And 15- 20 minutes later, voila! Hot soup!

My dad and I both used this method to heat soup or hobo pies for field lunches. The secret is to puncture the can lid before placing it on the manifold. And 15- 20 minutes later, voila! Hot soup!

I think that might of been thought of after the first disaster.

The secret is to puncture the can lid before placing it on the manifold.
One of my fellow Marines would take the can of C-Rat Entree (yes I'm that old that I was once just old enough when younger to have had C-rations) and dent it pretty well in two places, then put it on the heat source. When the dents popped out, it was OK to remove and allow to cool a bit, open and eat. I pointed out to my buddy John that he was relying on the strength of the can vs. the steam that the can would pop back out and not rupture.

His response was, "<cuss word> if that <cuss word> stuff survives from being made for Viet Nam into the 1980's then it isn't gonna explode." At the time I didn't know enough about physics to understand that the quick outward expansion of the dents would immediately drop the internal pressure of the heated steel can, for a few moments, long enough to fish the can away from the heat source.

Bringing this thread back to the black powder era..., Pressure cooking was developed in the 1600's, and they called them "bone digesters". I've wanted to make a replica "bone digester" but since they were brass or bronze, it would be a pricey thing, as a demonstration oddity, as well as the rudimentary valve for the steam.

LD

Potted meat read the label states it is processed from mechanically separated chicken. Now can you just imagine stuffing a chicken in a centrifuge, bet ya the chicken does not like that part.

Back