• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

post hawkin here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two bucks in one day...Good shootin
79731810.gif

Here are some pictures of a J&S Hawken I built and won a 1st Place Ribbon in the Masters Category at Dixon's a couple of years ago.
JS1.jpg
JS2.jpg
JS3.jpg
JS6.jpg
OldSadie4.jpg

The bottom picture is of the J&S Hawken with Ol' Sadie on the left. They are both .58 caliber rifles and the J&S Hawken is built on a 39" long barrel and is tapered from 1 1/8th" to 1" at the muzzle. The J&S is my cross sticks rifle and Ol' Sadie is the one I grab for hunting and general business.
Don

The Green River Rifle Works of Roosevelt, Utah made copies of Leman and Hawken rifles, from about 1974(?) to 1980. I handled Jim Bridger's Hawken there in 1978. This is my photo of the rifles GRRW was building then.
From left, a Poor Boy, Little Leman, Leman Trade rifle and two Hawkens. They also made fullstock Lemans and Hawkens.
grrwbw.jpg

Can't show you a picture of any of mine. I wish I could but I don't have a scanner. Kit Carson's S. Hawken rifle is currently kept and preserved in the Masonic Lodge in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It's 53 cal with a barrel measuring 31 and 1/16 inches in length. It's 1 and 1/16 inches across the flats. It is also of slant breech thus making it a late period rifle. By the way, the Ithaca Hawken was only produced with a barrel of 1 inch across the flats.

Congrats on your fine work! Unlike a lot of the so called Hawken replicas out there that aren't even close to being such, your's is a real nice piece of work!!

The late Lee Robertson of Utah built a copy of the Kit Carson rifle from the Masonic lodge in Sante Fe. He told me he copied it so closely that he even ground the "A" of his stamp to match the worn stamp on the original. I have not seen the original, but I measured and photographed Lee's copy. His was a 1 x 35 3/4" .54 caliber, a 14 1/8 inch length of pull. This doesn't look as graceful as other (original) Hawken photos I've seen. Flyboy, does this look like the Sante Fe Hawken?
leekithawkfl.jpg

leekithawklock.jpg

leekithawkstamp.jpg

Herb, the lock and hammer look right. The lock on Kit Carsons rifle was made by Thomas Gibbons of Covington Kentucky. However the buttplate of your rifle does not match his. Carsons rifle has a cast buttplate with proinant protruding heel. Also, you did'nt show me the other side of the rifle. On the cheek piece is a large round silver inlay. It's believed that his rifle was built around 1860 making it a very late period Hawken. Your rifle is quite beautiful by the way.

Sully said:
Here is a picture of my Hawken.
[url] http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Sullybr549/IMG_0066.jpg[/url]

I hope a lot of people post pictures.

Sully, is that a rifle from the Hawken Shop? Sure looks like one. Real nice rifle.
Don

Last edited by a moderator:
flyboy said:
Congrats on your fine work! Unlike a lot of the so called Hawken replicas out there that aren't even close to being such, your's is a real nice piece of work!!

Thanks for the kind word, Flyboy.
Don

Thanks everyone for jumpin in. Im sure we can come up with a few hundred more. I started this idea out because of reading the Ithaca,Navy Ithaca, and Santa Fe are all the same.( I got to hold a Navy for a few mins and it isnt the same as the Ithaca,I was just going to change the front sight(old eyes)and a member made me see the error of my ways. I'm really happy to see so many a real show case of them. A bit from a Jan 1968 MUZ BLST "Gremmer still had new J Hawkins as late as 1894 because the public wouldnt pay full price for a "mere relic" in a modren cartridge gun era" Ive pulled some words,goes on to say thats why so many near mint Js are around? Must be a lot of them hid in a closet some place..you think ? Again thank you much for showing your Hawkin and keep them comeing. You all have some rifles to be proud of :bow: , wish I wasnt a clutz at building from a stick of wood to a working rifle. Fred :hatsoff:

Here is the Green River RW shop Hawken. Pat Lakin, who worked there, told me yesterday that it was a Jim Bridger Hawken copy and that they put the tacks in from a pattern on an original Leman rifle they had there, probably seized from an Indian by the army in the 1860's. The other is a Neill Fields rifle, who also worked there till they went out of business.
grhawkfl.jpg

grnfbutt.jpg

grlock2.jpg

nflock2.jpg

I may have mis-interpreted your post...with the list of types you mentioned including "factory built", I assumed you meant to include modern day factory made rifles that are called Hawkens...if you really only wanted genuine Hawken replicas, my apologies

Herb, those are HAWKENS! GRRW had several great smiths making rifles in the day. Loyd Helms and Rick Guthrie also come to mind. Great guys with a lot of talent. I remember when GRRW was making the limited addition Bridger Hawkens for the Museum up in Montana as a fund raising effort. Nice rifles.
Don

Yes, my Hawken is from the Hawken Shop. Thank you for the kind words. I am going to order a kit from them in a month or so.Can't hardly wait.

Cooner, those are BEautifull rifles !!! Congratulations on taking (EARNING ) 1st place with your rifle. What finish did you use ? AF ? and what other stain ? Thanks.

The Blue Ribbon rifle is finished with Aqua Fortis and a mix of LMF stain. Little bit of Cherry in a whole lot of Lancaster Maple. Used the sealer and finish but rubbed the finish out with the palm of my hand until tacky. Knocked the shine off that way. I think I used their dark wax last. Glad ya like 'er.
Thanks,
Don

Pat Lakin told me yesterday, at a house painting party for a friend, that those Montana Hawkens sold for $800 and cost $1000 to make. He may have been joking on the cost to make, or not. And here is another Neill Fields Hawken that he built for a friend, Randy, about 8 years ago. Randy never shot it, kept it in the house out of the sun, but the acid stain ("some kind of acid stain", Neill said) faded until there was no color. Randy asked me to refinish it. It had a linseed oil finish. I swabbed on Fiebings dark brown oil leather dye. It went right through the finish and required no sanding. Randy still hasn't shot it, but he is thinking about it.
randyhwk.jpg

And here is the second Hawken I built, Track of Wolf Bridger, .54 cal, 36" barrel.
churchhawk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back