• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possibly moving to Florida or Southern Georgia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am looking toward retirement in about 1 to 2 years from now. I am looking at moving to the Delray Beach area of Florida or near Statesboro Georgia. One of my criteria is a gun friendly place, a place to shoot both black powder & modern guns + fishing. For those of you living in Florida around the Delray area or near Statesboro Georgia area can you give me any info on my criteria? Thanks - :hmm: .

I'm a Ga. native and have spent time in the Southern part but never lived there. If you like rattlers & coral snakes then South Ga is for you. It's flat, carpeted with Palmetto and pine trees, swampy and hot. I love it but then I'm not like most people. Ga is gun friendly, no doubt about it. Hogs by the millions...and gators, too.

The Piedmont is where I lived, just above the fall line. Ga deer hunting is as good as it gets.

I am just outside of Statesboro just south west of Fort Stewart in Long county. Yes the area is very gun friendly, not much in the way of BP. But Bass Pro in Savannah does sell Goex. You can get yourself a hunting permit for on base which is a heck of a lot cheaper than joining a hunting lease. Plus you can chase hogs year round as Hanshi mentioned.

Thanks you two for the good info - it helps a lot to know the "lay of the land" from people that live in the area :bow: .
Flyfisher - do you flyfish for trout in GA? I use to do a lot of flyfishing in NJ and New England some time back.

Florida is about as gun friendly a state as you are going to find. I can't speak to the availability of gun ranges in that area, though, which might be a concern.

I don't know about trout in the southern part of the state but there is pretty good trout streams in the northern part. Around the Dahlonega area.I fished some of the streams a few years ago.

Wayne said:
I don't know about trout in the southern part of the state but there is pretty good trout streams in the northern part. Around the Dahlonega area.I fished some of the streams a few years ago.

Most of my fly fishing has been for the warm water species. I did a lot of trout fishing in Texas and a few other areas. Wayne hit it on the head, there are a lot of trout streams up in the northern part of the state.

I'm probably one of the few here that can speak from recent experience in BOTH areas.
I'm in Florida now. Used to live in Ware County Ga.(Waycross specifically). There's NO better place for hunting/shooting. Long deer seasons...very liberal limits. The deer aren't real big, but there's lots of them. Hogs too. You're not terribly far from the ocean, and N. Florida. Week-end trips into Florida work real well from there. When I moved to Florida...I went into a few gunshops and asked "where do folks around here hunt..??" The UNIVERSAL answer I got was "Georgia".
S.E. Georgia is an inexpensive, safe, uncrowded place to live.
Delray is overcrowded, significantly more expensive and more dangerous. There aren't many places to shoot closeby,(unless you count the nighclub parking lots late on Saturday night) and the ones that are tend to be "pricey". You can get into a private hunting club in that general area...around Lake Okeechobee for example. The one I contacted quoted me $6,000.00 per yr. for a membership. You can TRY hunting on the public FWC managed lands. I tried...it was kinda like hunting in a Wal-Mart parking lot there was so much traffic. Delray offers much better saltwater fishing and SCUBA opportunities. Also, a MUCH more "international environment". English not required in many areas. In summary, the two areas you mention couldn't be more different. Once you establish your own priorities, it should be an easy choice.
Feel free to pm me for more details if you wish.

Thanks Don, I'm in Delray now and have looked for a home in the area. I have not found any outdoor shooting places near by only indoor ranges. I do listen to the news and have heard of many "strip joint" shootings since I've been here. I will be traveling to the Statesboro, GA area in a week or two to visit a college friend and will be looking at places near there. Thanks all for your inputs :v !

Don Steele said:
..I went into a few gunshops and asked "where do folks around here hunt..??" The UNIVERSAL answer I got was "Georgia".
S.E. Georgia is an inexpensive, safe, uncrowded place to live.

That!! ^^^^^^

I live in FL. I do virtually all my hunting in GA. Like he said, better seasons, better limits, better WMAs with way more variety WAY less traffic. From Cypress swamps in the South to "mountains" and trout streams in the north". Plus..............hogs and HOGS....lots of them and you can hunt them virtually year round.

However, FL has no state income tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep this in mind. Ga. has a state income tax while Florida does not. Could NE Florida become a option? I belong to a range that has clays, a pistol and 2 rifle ranges one of which is 800 yards long.

wdtiffin, yes northern FL could be in the "mix". I'm a ATA trapshooter since the mid 60's, NRA Highpower competor, NRA Bullseye competor and shoot muzzloaders at my local muzzleloading club. I still want to do these things in the future. The reason I picked the Delray Beach area is that my mom lives there and I told her when I retire I would take care of her. As for sothern GA, I have a female college friend that I like to "spend time" with now & then - if you get my "drift" :v :grin: !

Back