• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possibles Bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastor

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am planning on buying a new possible bag. Been using one made out of old pair of blue jeans. Would like one of leather and it is long ways to any place that sells them. What should I think of before placing an order for one. $65 and under only please, yes I would like a brain tanned, linnen lined and so on but funds are short I shoot a GPR for hunting so don't need an reinactor bag. Ringo

Two suggestions:
One - check the Track of the Wolf catalog (viewable online if you don't have a copy handy) - they have a number of serviceable shooting bags at or under your $60.
Two - spend the same $60 & get a copy of "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" by T.C. Albert (techniques good for 19th c pouches as well as 18th c) for about $27 and spend the rest on a few tools & some leather to make your own.

PS - at the risk of renewing an old debate, for some, the term possibles bag refers to a small sack used to hold miscellaneous gear - sewing kit, jerky, fire making gear, playing cards, tobacco etc. "Its possible that I might have that in here".

Enjoy your shooting!

You should be able to get a very nice hand sewn bag for 65.00. Look for a quality maker who can set you up with a veg. tan leather bag, linen thread, no lining, single pocket in the inside back, rolled entry, brass or steel buckle, no binding on flap.

Ringo said:
I am planning on buying a new possible bag. Been using one made out of old pair of blue jeans. Would like one of leather and it is long ways to any place that sells them. What should I think of before placing an order for one. $65 and under only please, yes I would like a brain tanned, linnen lined and so on but funds are short I shoot a GPR for hunting so don't need an reinactor bag. Ringo

If you want to keep it under $65, you will have to forget about the brain tan or linen lined bag. Brain tanning is an expensive process and usually found in garments. Oil tanned will suit you just fine.

If you want to keep it under $65, you will have to forget about the brain tan or linen lined bag. Brain tanning is an expensive process and usually found in garments. Oil tanned will suit you just fine.

A good point(s). I would also expect the brain tan to be a bit limp. I might be wrong on that. Oil tan should be easy to work with. My bags are shooting bags, meaning they are smaller than a possibles bag, and are made of 2-3 oz veg tan that is oiled after the dye is put on. These have a nice compromise between softness and enough stiffness to hold shape.

The possibles bag apparently was the predeccessor to the "man purse"?

Our OP has yet to define his need as a possibles bag or shooting bag.

Browse thrift stores for old leather purses that can be reworked, sometimes you even find something that is good as is. I tend to pay 1 or 2 bucks for them. I get lots of good useable leather scrap that way.

Been eye ballin thrift -goodwill stores for close to a year. :( No bags and very little leather. I also think its a good place to look. Just no luck on my part. Larry

I have one made by the Leatherman, very good quality, but too big for a day hunt. Back in Dec I sent a PM to Horner 75 after seeing several pouches he had for sale here. In the end he built me a real nice pouch that is just right for a days hunt. He put a red hunters star on the flap and a brass button to close the flap. Small pocket on the inside,short starter holder on the strap, plus a brass buckle to adjust the strap. Cost $90. If you want a plainer pouch I'm sure he will make it for you. In the end I like this pouch way more than the one from the Leatherman. It's just the right size for a couple hours hunt.

I would second the thrift store idea, lots of good ML accesories can be found at these, building ones kit as the situation allows is done by most if not all MLers, have fun and good shootin' to ya.

Ringo,There is a nice Vegetable Tanned leather bag over on the Contemporary Longrifle Association site. Look at Page 2 under Contemporary for Sale. Looks to be a real nice Bag for $50.

Sorry, can't see buying a commercial bag when you can make one yourself that looks ten times better and is uniquely yours. With books like T.C Alberts that takes you step by step, you can make any bag the way you want it. So easy even a caveman can do it.

Main reason, I was looking buy is its my b'day gift from my none sewing/craft wife. She said here is what I want your to find for yourself. She found a Cabelas catalog and is planning now to get me the $4? bag. Thanks for the imput.

Back