• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Possibles bag patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making a pattern isn't that hard. You only have to draw half of it anyway. Maintaining a centerline is a big key. Fold your heavy paper or light, thin, cardboard in half. I think it's best to fold it so the fold will go from the top to the bottom of the item rather than side to side. Draw a shape and size you'd like for half a bag, cut it out and unfold it. There is a whole panel with the fold down the center. do this for each piece. Folding the new piece of material over the center line of the 1st piece so your centers will line up later and everything is kept to the same scale.

get the idea?
Yup I understand, I just need materials now. Thanks.

I have made a few shooting bags and never use a pattern. I will look at different styles, supposed period references and go from there. Will do a basic layout on brown paper grocery bag and let the bag tell me what it needs.

My first bag came from a pattern in the Book of Buckskinning. It's a fairly large D shape bag with a divider. It has lasted since the spring of 1978 and has seen the most use of any bag I own as it was a couple decades before I started making/buying bags for individual calibers.

Brokennock you could call it a pattern I guess, but as to buying a pattern just never made sense to me. If were on the Appalachian frontier say around 1756 I would think it would take a long time for the postal rider to get the mail to us. So I have the leather some linen threat the weather is nasty out side and I need a shooting bag. As I stated the brown paper is just a look see as to how the bag may look, the rest is dictated to me during the actual construction.

Building m/l guns , especially for newbees , usually requires supplying a serviceable shot pouch w/a new gun w/ all the stuff to make the gun shoot and manage it . I'm not a leather worker , so it's easier to go online to Mountain Top Trading, or Crazy Crow Trading Co. , and for under $50 + or minus couple bucks , you have a choice of different pouches. They can be modified to suit the occasion w/o a lot of effort. One of these less expensive , but very serviceable pouches will work until you buy another gun needing a pouch.. You know you will.................oldwood

Here's a link to the best "how to" book i know: Mr. Albert makes it straight forward and pretty simple.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/39/1/BOOK-R18-CHP
i've collected the necessary gear over the years, and none of it was all that expensive ... most of it is stuff you probably have (or should have) around the house, and a good bit can easily be fabricated on one's own... (just because the gadget in question can be had at an outrageous price, made by obscure craftsmen in the south of france does not mean you can't build one yourself)

good luck with your project ... you can never have too many bags

(or too many flintlocks)

make good smoke

I second your request! I would like to do some projects during the covid winter....

I do know that linen tread was commonly used. Linen thread is obtainable and not too outrageous. You can wax it to get it to slide through the leather easier. Now having said this - full disclaimer, I am not a leather artisan at all. Willin and able to learn somthin.... Thanks
hemp cord also works and is stronger than cotton

Here's a pictorial of how to make a pattern. I'll leave out the explanations since that was well covered by @Brokennock

IMG_5702.JPG
IMG_5703.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG
IMG_5705.JPG
IMG_5706.JPG
IMG_5708.JPG
IMG_5710.JPG
IMG_5711.JPG
IMG_5713.JPG

These include a gusset. You don't need to do the more complicated strap system.

IMG_5715.JPG
IMG_5716.JPG
IMG_5717.JPG
IMG_5718.JPG
IMG_5719.JPG
IMG_5720.JPG
IMG_5722.JPG
IMG_5723.JPG
IMG_5724.JPG
IMG_5725.JPG

For the flap you use the same pattern as the back to obtain the size and fit for the upper portion and then you can re-shape the lower portion to suit your taste.

View attachment 44796View attachment 44797View attachment 44798View attachment 44799View attachment 44800View attachment 44801View attachment 44802View attachment 44803View attachment 44804View attachment 44805

For the flap you use the same pattern as the back to obtain the size and fit for the upper portion and then you can re-shape the lower portion to suit your taste.
Wow thanks so much,

View attachment 44796View attachment 44797View attachment 44798View attachment 44799View attachment 44800View attachment 44801View attachment 44802View attachment 44803View attachment 44804View attachment 44805

Very well done.

It is good to note that the center lines/folds of your front, back, and flap, pieces all work together.
Also, one can now use these to see how everything works together and plan how you stitch it all together, what order to put the pieces in. On a totally new design, especially if it will be seen inside out and then "turned," I will often make a test piece out of cheap craft felt just to make sure my sizes are right, and that everything will end up where it us supposed to be, once turned. Two rectangles, 6"x9" sewn together around 3 sides and then turned does not give one a 6"x9" pocket.

The gusset goes across the bottom and up the sides.
It would be placed so that the smooth side of the leather on the gusset is against the smooth side of the front panel, lining up the center lines. If using a welt, it would be placed in between. Then same is done with the back panel. The bag itself is now assembled. Dunk it in some water and get to work turning it rightside out.
If a pocket is to be sewn to the back panel, it should be done before attaching the panel to the bag. I'm not sure about when to attach that support piece with the starters for the straps as I've not used one.

Back