• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Possibles Bag and Powder Horn Proper Carry Position?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I failed too mention I usually wear 2 belt bags as well…😁

39A241BF-D073-4845-8BD7-B79B1250C692.jpeg
E2D1F438-4258-4D17-8C6D-530F99419A61.jpeg
4CC2F2A3-C60F-47E2-AE5D-85CAE02997B2.jpeg
47FD44DA-DEAB-4BA7-9009-EFFE2311F995.jpeg

I am left handed and shoot from the left shoulder. I like my bag and horn on the left side so I can access them with my dominant hand. Don't have them hanging too low or they will flop around too much.

View attachment 204972

The main thing to do is find a setup that works for you, which is not necessarily what works for someone else.
You're a dead ringer for my brother-in-law 👍

Do you know Tom. He likes to do that musket loader stuff. Goes to them rendezvous fairs.
I don’t know, many guys have a camp name
Oh you woulld know Tom, fat guy with a beard has a white tent
Oh yeah I know him😂
I knew a guy just like that description. Except everyone knew him as Grizz. Never knew his real name.

I seem to be semi-ambidexterous, but prefer right handed. For percussion, I wear the bag and horn on the right side. For flint, the horn goes on the left side...I like my body between all the sparks and flash from the lock and the powder horn. There is no right or wrong way, just what works best for you.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or if there's an actual correct answer. Which side should your bag and horn be carried? I'm use to years of Civil War reenacting where all your accoutrements have a proper place to be worn. Is one side more convenient than the other depending on if your right or left handed? I ask this question because I want to try my hand at scrimshawing my powder horn and want the most visible side showing my work......................Thanks!
Let me complicate a bit from these other folks:
Do you carry your powder horn on a Separate strap or attach it to your shooting bag?
(*put your lunch and cell phone in your 'Haversak' and Always carry it on separate side from shooting bag and horn)

Personally I started with bag and horn on separate straps but changed to On Strap for both...so, my horn is carried wherever my bag is carried.

I know some folks reason that they should carry the powder horn on the off side, so errant sparks falling from the flintlock won't land on or in the horn. I would respectfully disagree. A right-handed shooter typically places his left foot ahead of the right, which rotates his body slightly and in fact places the spout of the powder horn closer to the lock of his firearm, and possibly directly under it. If the horn is on the right side, it is actually rotated farther back and out of the way. It is for me, anyway.
Agreed. When I shoot, my arm and torso block the horn. Also, a plugged horn should seal up well enough that an errant spark poses no risk of igniting the powder inside.

Let me complicate a bit from these other folks:
Do you carry your powder horn on a Separate strap or attach it to your shooting bag?
(*put your lunch and cell phone in your 'Haversak' and Always carry it on separate side from shooting bag and horn)

Personally I started with bag and horn on separate straps but changed to On Strap for both...so, my horn is carried wherever my bag is carried.
I’ve been thinking about it, but I like my powder horn almost sat on top of my bag with it’s own strap. If I attach it to the bag straps while it still remains high, I feel that it would be very rigid and be difficult to pour from.

I’ve been thinking about it, but I like my powder horn almost sat on top of my bag with it’s own strap. If I attach it to the bag straps while it still remains high, I feel that it would be very rigid and be difficult to pour from.
Yes that is true. I dont 'run through the jungle' any more and didn't like it up that high so I lowed it. I found my bag even up that high was difficult for me to work with. I wear it all down at my waist.
Everyone works differently...unless you are in the military or practicing Kungfu

Latest posts

Back