• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Possible Wonder Lube Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. He's not "having you on". Using steel wool to dull the sharp corners on the edges of the rifling grooves is not only a good idea but it is one of the safest ways to do the job.

The steel wool is no harder than the steel in the barrel so although it does dull up the sharp edges of the grooves, it doesn't remove much material. Using steel wool is also one of the faster, safe ways to do the job.

I've seen people talk about using valve grinding compound, silicone carbide sand paper and things like Scotch-Brite pads to "break in" a barrel which is another term for dulling up the sharp rifling edges.
All of these have extremely hard abrasives in/on them. Yes, they will dull up the sharp edges fast but because they are much harder than the barrel, they will also remove material from the bore.

Of course, if someone doesn't care if it takes 100 + shots to do the same job with patched balls then they should probably use that method because it is the safest way to do the job.

I'm happy to be corrected, new barrels are strange territory for me having only had nitro ones and being used to shooting them in whilst confirming zero. My last discipline 'F' class meant new barrels after 1000 rds or so, the cost, annually guiding me into the arms of the boys from the black stuff. Thanks to all who responded 'putting me straight' :):):)

Back