• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible rust in the bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpmann3518

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw the old thread on here about cleaning rust from the barrel. Just went in and ran a patch in my rifle and it came out really brown. Ran several more and it's still doing it. Never had issues like that when I used to shoot and cleaned it the same way with hot soapy water,rinsed in hot water and oiled it good. I can't really see any rust. Bore isn't bright at all. Not sure if it's a mixture of crud and rust or what. Must have done something wrong.

That "hot" water stuff can get ya in trouble if the humidity is just right.
I stick with tepid/baby bath water temps.

Don't fret too much, just clean it again, be sure it's dry and oil it good.
Just remember to clean the oil out before the next time ya shoot it, :wink:

Try some 91% alcohol. Got the rust out last time I forgot that I had'nt cleaned my flintlock after my last time at the range,(6 days in the trunk of my car) :doh: It took 6 patches with the alcohol (both sides) A couple of W.D. 40 patches then one alcohol patch to fet the W.D. 40 out, then a couple of B.C. Barricade patches, came out clean as a whistle!.

I posted about my rusty bore a couple weeks ago. Stopped using froglube and problem went away. Everyone says use wd40 witch i don't doubt works but I use Seafoam deep creep now. Says right on the bottle great for guns. Not a hint of rust any more.

I'll give the alcohol a shot and WD40 if need be. Have those on hand. Fretting would have been mild compared to my Oh **** moment.
Your post was the one I was reading MosinRob. Would have never thought about molasses and water removing rust. Have to try that on something.

Heyoka said:
I saw the old thread on here about cleaning rust from the barrel. Just went in and ran a patch in my rifle and it came out really brown. Ran several more and it's still doing it. Never had issues like that when I used to shoot and cleaned it the same way with hot soapy water,rinsed in hot water and oiled it good. I can't really see any rust. Bore isn't bright at all. Not sure if it's a mixture of crud and rust or what. Must have done something wrong.

Hot water promotes flash rusting. The hot barrel evaporates and creates instant brown. This will make the bore look brown.
The oil tends to break some of it loose and it shows on patches.
If you are using BP really hot water is not needed warm at the most.
WD40 penetrates wood really well so be careful.
Stand it muzzle down on a patch after cleaning.
Dan

WD-40 has very little preservative oil . It is more solvent than anything else.
Amsoil MP is more of a penetrating oil and is very safe on gunstocks.

Using hot water has been discussed before and some complain that after drying, a light rust is present in the bore. I've been doing this for 30 some years and have not had this kind of rust. Possibly the reason....my well water goes through an iron filter and then a softener. The iron filter removes nearly all the iron and the softener takes out the remaining trace of iron.

After drying, aided by a hot bbl, a liberal amount of Oxyoke 1000 is slobbered into the bore and again the hot bbl melts the Oxyoke and this is then wiped out and a lighter coat of Oxyoke 1000 is then applied. Have had MLers sit for 2 years w/o another bore cleaning and never encountered any rust whatsoever. Oxyoke is a waxy substance and stays put unlike oils and other thinner preservatives...it doesn't collect in puddles......Fred

I sometimes experience this also. I am very consistent in my cleaning routine and there seems to be no pattern to when it occurs. But I swab it out, shoot and all is well.

flehto, that is why I like Amsoil MP also. It leaves a non-sticky film that stays where you put it and disperses water.
I wasn't shooting for a period of time and have gone for years without reapplying.

Got it cleaned up nice. Yeah theres some discoloration. Bought it used so I never expected a bright,shiney bore. Shouldn't have too many issues now that I got back into the cleaning routine for muzzle loaders.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice on how to deal with it.

Nothing scrapes the bore better than a tight patch ball combination.

Go shoot 50 rounds then clean it.

foster From Flint

Back