• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

possible bag info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artificer, sent me this direction to get a feel of what someone would have carried back in the day, it was very helpful. (David Cook Collection)

David Cook rifle e.png

I agree with Notchy Bob that what we see today are over done. I am as guilty as they come. I wanted a "fancy smancy" bag to go along with my "fancy smancy" new TVM, so with that being said it is a matter of personal preference. To each his own. However, I am going to try and make one modeled after the little squirrel bag I got from Mr. Cutfingers for when I am playing "Cowboys and Indians". I believe that most bags were as straight forward as they come plain and simple...practical.

One of the things I enjoy about this sport is making my own accoutrements. You can make things as fancy or as plain as you want. There’s seemingly no end to how you can customize your kit, store bought or home made.

I'm at the point I need to think about a possible/shooting bag but really have no idea what I'm looking for. Things like how big? Do I need pockets? Leather or cloth? Just need a little help. Thanks.
It's all up to you. I like a smallish bag with an inside back pocket and a small front one under the flap.

That being said, I don't have a separate bag for every gun. Instead I have a possible bag with basic tools to keep the flintlock running and cleaning jags and adapters for all the calibers I shoot, and the various rod threading..and various flints. A patch knife.

That goes on the shoulder with my powder horn.

The other shoulder carries my canteen, haversack (which should only carry food, but I carry a length of rope there too) and my shooting bag.

The shooting bag has extra flints and the ball or shot for the gun I pick up. I it, carry the cards and wads and straps of cloth for patching. A second pencil and a folding knife.

Latest posts

Back