• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible African Trade Flintlock with Bayonet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s a trade musket by Ketland at .65

https://www.prices4antiques.com/Rif...ercial-Brown-Bess-Hudson-Bay-Co-E8923824.html

I’m wondering if the barrel was from another gun.
Would appear to be a trade musket, not a commercial Brown Bess. There are lots of guns out there that look like the Brown Bess style, but they aren’t Bess’s. As far as I’m aware, there are no ommercial or ordinance Bess’s with 62 or65 barrels, but just to be certain, I’ll check with DeWitt when I next see him. I’ll also have a chat with David Harding to see if any of the East India Company Bess’s had a smaller bore.

S
Would appear to be a trade musket, not a commercial Brown Bess. There are lots of guns out there that look like the Brown Bess style, but they aren’t Bess’s. As far as I’m aware, there are no ommercial or ordinance Bess’s with 62 or65 barrels, but just to be certain, I’ll check with DeWitt when I next see him. I’ll also have a chat with David Harding to see if any of the East India Company Bess’s had a smaller bore.

Something to consider..... many Brown Bess style guns were built with surplus parts and restocked. The type of stock might tell a different story.... if maple or cherry these are generally not military grade stocks.

Sometimes small details such as sling swivel placement and types of furniture screws and pin locations help too.

S

Something to consider..... many Brown Bess style guns were built with surplus parts and restocked. The type of stock might tell a different story.... if maple or cherry these are generally not military grade stocks.

Sometimes small details such as sling swivel placement and types of furniture screws and pin locations help too.
I’m fine with that. There are all sorts of guns out there, either put together because it was necessary in time of war, or someone had some bits they fancied putting together, but, there are, as far as I am aware, no commercial, or military Brown Besses with 20 gauge barrels. That is the point of my reply to you.

I’m fine with that. There are all sorts of guns out there, either put together because it was necessary in time of war, or someone had some bits they fancied putting together, but, there are, as far as I am aware, no commercial, or military Brown Besses with 20 gauge barrels. That is the point of my reply to you.

I once had a purchased (then resold) what was called a British Trade musket, the lock was by 'King' who made commercial muskets for the HBC, a very good lock. The barrel was bored to .69, I suspect the barrel was a surplus American Musket Barrel or French Barrel. The breech was not turned and there were short flats, the tang was bullet shaped too, it was sold off as a commercial musket for fur trading parties. The barrel was also stained brown.

Back