• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Possiable defect on patented breech?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Rat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Received, some parts today doing some inspecting and believe I may have a issue with the breech plug. I notice the powder chamber had a large ledge in it, after figuring I could ream that out pretty easy. I notice the nipple was drilled past the clean out bore creating a pocket. There is a hair less than 2mm of metal to outside. Is this pocket normal? I would think this would cause issues catching any cleaning fluid/spark. Here is a link to the part. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/666/1/PLUG-OH-13-5
Also anyone ever put a barb on the Vincent butt plate and use it to gig frogs or flounder? Man that think is sharp. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that the large ledge you mention really means you think the powder chamber is too narrow. Without seeing any pics, I doubt that it will cause any problems. I've drilled some pretty narrow holes in blank breechplugs without any ignition issues. You might want to give us some actual dimensions and calibers and such.

I don't like the idea of the nipple hole going deeper than the flash channel. There should be a sharp 90 degree turn there, so the cap flash can go directly into the powder charge. With the nipple hole going past the flash channel, the flash could get all confused as to where is supposed to go. Lol, ok, really it could cause some kind of eddy or weird compression wave, and not be the most efficient. I'm just guessing here, but I do think a clean sharp turn would be best.

I doubt if the 2mm thickness would be a safety issue. Curious as to what others think though.

I've never gigged a frog with a gun, but I have used the butt to dispatch rattlesnakes. Bill

That's way to close to a rapidsnake....Why we carry smoothbore pistols, bye-bye snake.....

IMO, if the hole for the nipple is a bit deep it won't cause any problems.

If things are working right, the gunpowder will be blown back thru the flame channel and some of it will end up under the bottom of the nipple in that area. When the cap fires the powder will ignite and were off to the races.

The only thing to be a little concerned about is the location of the flash channel hole.
Because it isn't down at the bottom of the nipple hole, it is possible it broke into that area too high. It should be low enough that most, if not all of it is lower than the length of the threads on the nipple.

As for a .080 thick wall, don't worry about it.
It's strong enough to take whatever pressure might be forced against it.

well, this one is going back. the best I have to measure with is some plastic calipers. my digital does not have a pin that comes out bottom. It's closer to .065 and this is a cast part that will have some metal removed also finishing. It's for a 40cal gun that I will probably end up shooting a ballet type bullet out of using the triple 7 fffg. as that's about all the powder I can find around here. The powder being a little courser I am a little worried about what I see, where all the powder has to go to fill without air pockets.
Don't think I'm going to barb the butt plate as this gun is my small game/hog gun, figure I just sharpen it and use it as a short bayonet when momma hog gets upset. Don't want it stuck in her running thru the woods with it.

I'm using that same plug on a 40cal build too.
This one is 12yrs old as the guy I got it from started the build and never finished.

Anyway, the one I have is just as you describe and I'll have no problem using it.
I see no safety concerns.
And I see no reason that T7 in 2F or 3F will not feed through the fire channel to the nipple port.
(I use a lot of T7)
If your going to send yours back, I'd suggest getting a different style breech plug as I believe this is just the way they're made.
A replacement of the same type will have the exact same design.

That is what I wanted to hear, confirmation it was not bad, had me a little worried that it went deep. Ok It's staying then.LOL. :redface:

Back