• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Portuguese Style Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tom

Thanks so much for your reply and the cool photos. That gun looks so pre-1700. Really like it. So I take it the lock was a custom - one-off ? Again, super neat gun. Thanks for posting.

I don’t know the origin of the lock. I know John did some casting, but I don’t know if he did locks. He did some of the matchlocks used at the Jamestown-Yorktown museums, and a number for reenactors in the US. I also have a pistol he did.

In addition, I ran across this pic years ago, watermarked Life (Magazine).

5041D35E-6278-4E9E-B887-F7D506D47E0D.jpeg

Here is a Portuguese sporting Fowler from the early 19th Century. You can just make out the Portuguese style lock.
These guns often (and easily) get confused with their Spanish counterparts.

Rick
100_1751.jpg

That's just the stocking style of these elusive Lazzareeno's only better quality . Brilliant getting better & better great pic anymore ? ..
Regards Rudyard

Hi Rudyard

Here is the only other pic I have of the full gun. The owner of this gun lives in the U.K. He originally thought it was a Spanish miquelet. He now knows what he has. And he is not interested in selling. LOL It appears in very nice, original condition. The Portuguese, like the Spanish had a preference for half-stocks for their sporting guns early on.

Rick
100_1750 (Medium).jpg

is the twisting on the frizzen spring common to all POTUGUESE guns?
Hi Toot

I'm sure there were some Portuguese sporting guns made using Spanish locks due to both Countries close proximity. But every gun with a Portuguese made lock, the locks look the same. A collector friend of mine has a Portuguese made and marked military style pistol. The lock looks identical except pistol size.
That funny looking frizzen spring is common to all I've seen. I once saw an Algerian made gun with one of these original Portuguese locks mounted on it.

Rick

Rick, thanks for the reply& the history lesion. it sure answered my question. toot.

I believe I have an article on this piece or one very like it I think I know the owner but will contact him before I clarifie that, as he may not wish to be known. The poorer quality ' Lazzareeno's Have the same stocking style but have painted parts perhaps to hide poor wood .Or just more appealing to the indigenous customers I.me thinking more Brazil & the Amazon but maybe Mozambique
Cool Banana's. Rudyard

Back