• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pops Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently saw the hunters knife Two Feathers was selling. It made me reach into one of the few things I still have from my Dad. I'm 74 so 60+ years ago my Dad always called this knife "Pops Knife" I finally asked him why and he explained his father made it out of a model T spring during the depression in Missouri. My Dad used it when something with weight and strength was needed. We had lobster a lot, not because we were rich but my Dad knew local Lobster-man in our area. He always reached for that knife when he split the tails. It would be a great patch knife if you used patches with cannon balls,

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 175
A very decent blade, and a great story - beauty is as beauty does, and that puppy was put to good use.

I would certainly use it, rather than storing it away (YMMV, though)

For as long as I can remember in my childhood, this was my Father’s “ Deer Knife”. Dad didn’t shoot muzzleloaders and this isn’t a particularly traditional product. Imported from Germany, ( the blade is marked “Imco Implement” on one side and “ Solingen Germany “ on the other. it’s a knife you could have bought out of a glass case in a hardware store back in the day. I still have the original scabbard but fashioned this one for my “ outfit” when shooting a longrifle. In my earliest memories it had a sawtooth back that Dad had ground off many years ago. The blade has always been kept “ Hair flinging sharp”. I can attest to that from personal experience having cut myself pretty badly with it when I was very young. Still bear that scar. When I began shooting muzzleloaders, and cutting patches at the muzzle I chose to use this for my patch knife. I enjoy a special feeling of connecting with my Father’s spirit whenever I draw this blade.
40477D75-4388-4BEB-838B-F9E53EA35082.jpeg

Mr. Steele my dad had one very similar to this and I still hold it once in a while just because I knew his hands touched it and used it. If it wasn't for my dad I wouldn't be the hunter and woodsman that I am today. Damn I miss that guy. Thanks for the memories!

That's a very nice knife, whoever made it. The fact that your grandpa forged it makes it even better. It looks as if it has plenty of life left in it, too. It looks as if you've kept it sharp and kept it clean.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story!

Notchy

I have a few of my fathers and grandfathers butcher knives they hang in my butcher shop and are the first knives I reach for when processing game, Also have my fathers pocket knife it goes with me on special hunts makes me feel like he is right beside me during those times. It went to Wyoming in 2019 and will make the trip again this Oct. When I was younger he always said one day we are going west, never made it with him but this is my way of taking a bit of those long ago discussions and him with me. Old dogs, old men, old knives and old stories now them be shinning times.

The pics of the 2 knives show either very good care, not much use or super tough bad As. For being used that hard and long you'd think they would show the effects of a lot of sharpening.

Mark, good observation, spot on my friend. ;) In the case of my Father's knife it's definitely a combination of all three.
I spent a bit over 25 years of my working life in Beef slaughter and processing. I've worked quality knives down to mere slivers of what they were when new from daily use and constant sharpening. Dad's knife never saw that kind of use. From all that experience using good knives daily...I have a pretty good idea of the characteristics of a quality blade.
On Dad's knife...The blade itself is a high quality piece of steel. ( I have another one of those Solingen "hardware store" knives a cousin gave me for Christmas one year in the early 1960's. The blade on it is equally good.) Dad's knife was only used when Dad ( or myself in later years..) needed it for dressing game. It never saw use as an all-around camp knife. There's also the fact that we knew HOW TO sharpen a knife.

I recently saw the hunters knife Two Feathers was selling. It made me reach into one of the few things I still have from my Dad. I'm 74 so 60+ years ago my Dad always called this knife "Pops Knife" I finally asked him why and he explained his father made it out of a model T spring during the depression in Missouri. My Dad used it when something with weight and strength was needed. We had lobster a lot, not because we were rich but my Dad knew local Lobster-man in our area. He always reached for that knife when he split the tails. It would be a great patch knife if you used patches with cannon balls,

Nice story and knife. You're lucky. I wish I had something that my dad owned that I could bring on hunts.

Car springs work nicely for bladed things. I have a set of four double-ended lathe chisels that I made almost forty years ago from a car spring. I cut them in two widths on a table saw, ground the ends into shape per full-size drawings in a book, and quenched them in used motor oil. Then I made a couple of oak handles to slip over whichever end I was holding. They still cut better, and hold an edge better, than any store-bought chisels I've ever owned..

That is such a cool post!!!

I have a few of my fathers and grandfathers butcher knives they hang in my butcher shop and are the first knives I reach for when processing game, Also have my fathers pocket knife it goes with me on special hunts makes me feel like he is right beside me during those times. It went to Wyoming in 2019 and will make the trip again this Oct. When I was younger he always said one day we are going west, never made it with him but this is my way of taking a bit of those long ago discussions and him with me. Old dogs, old men, old knives and old stories now them be shinning times.
Well said! I couldn’t agree more.

I knew your patch knife looked like mine and took it out of my possibles bag. A different blade style but also marked " Solingen Germany" and the other side marked "Sabre Monarch 411"

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 64
I also have a similar knife and I'll try to download a picture which I've never done before. 20210526_111118.jpg20210526_110516.jpg The writing says York Cutlery Co, Solenoid, Germany. On the other side it says 641
My mother gave it to me in the mid to late 1950's and it was well used.

Last edited:
Back