• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Poor results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my flint smoothbore rifle out yesterday morning to try some shot loads in it. Used 66-68 grn 2F and 1-1/8oz shot. A 1/8 wad over the powder and two thin wads over the shot. At 30 yards I aimed at a 2x3 inch square and put two pellets on the edges. Most of the pattern was spread widely and low. A second shot was very nearly the same results. moved up to 22 yards and it still sucked. I don't think this gun likes 2F powder, just a feeling I have as it will shoot a round ball with 3F fairly well at 30 yards. Just gaining experience here.

Mushka, don't get discouraged, it's just a matter of finding what your shotgun (smoothbore) likes. I have several BP shotguns both double and single barrel and among the same gauges, they like different loads. I always start by using the same volume shot to powder. not by weight, but by volume. In other words, if I throw a 70 grain powder charge, I will use that same measure full of shot. My loading procedure goes like this: Powder-over powder card, fiber wad (1/4 to 1/2 depending on brand, I like the pre-lubed ones). Next the shot then I put another over powder card over the top. I don't care so much for those thin, so called over shot cards. Even double or tripled up are terrible. It might be because in my doubles, I don't want the second barrel's charge to move after I fire the first barrel. After I try that equal shot to powder load, I'll tweak it (if needs be) by either changing the shot or the powder slightly. Don't do both shot and powder tweaks at the same time as you want to see if it's the powder of the shot that changes your pattern. Smoothbores are finnicky sometimes and there are no short cuts - like women,they take time and patience. If you start having "blown patterns," it's usually because the powder charge is too heavy for the shot. Once this happens, I will either increase the shot slightly (a little bit at a time) or back off on the powder (also a little at a time). All in all, just remember," The worst day shooting is far better than the best day at work."

Last edited:
I don't see the guage of the smooth-barrel?

IMO, a 67 grain powder load under 1 1/8 ounce of shot is a bit on the weak side. Might try upping the powder load to 75 grains and using 2 over powder wads to improve the pattern. Doing this might raise the pattern too.

My 20ga likes 80 gr of 2F, two thin cards over powder, 1-1/8 oz shot and two 1/8 inch thick fiber cards over shot. If I’m hunting I seat a ball of TOW on top of the load to keep everything from shifting.

My initial results were similar to yours. I found the Skychief load improved results significantly. I use 70 gr of 2F over the same volume(1oz) of shot(shown #6).
Order if loading:
-Powder
-1/8” cardboard Over powder Disc
-Shot
-Thin over shot disc
-1/2” Fiber Wad saturated with olive oil
B1BCC382-E5EA-483A-A07D-48B20C56643C.jpeg

Back