• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Poor follow through on hangfire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A co worker showed me this video, I didn't watch the whole thing but in the first 30 seconds it shows a man firing a cap lock Hawken rifle at a pig. The cap pops and then it's at least a full second before the rifle goes off. Watch his hands, he is beginning to lower the rifle as it goes off and with a heavy charge almost drops it. A good reminder to always practice good follow through with any fire arm.

Every caplock brought to our club does that for the first round or two of a match... at about shot 20, most flintlock guys go through the same thing. Lol

Not arguing this at all. Just curious as to why a hang fire would be considered normal? Gun design, lack of paying attention to detail after cleaning, lube used, improper loading practices, bad caps, bad powder?

Hang fires are not normal for this ole boy. I don't think I've had over 3-4 ever. And every one of those was due to not properly clearing the flash hole after running a wet patch down the bore at the range and not snapping a couple of caps prior to loading.

Last edited:
Did anyone also notice he has the bottom point of the crecent butt plate right on his shoulder instead of nestled in the whole curve. Looks like that could hurt a lot.

Back