• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pondering Trade Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of keeping my mind open to a flint Trade Musket. What tips or considerations would people offer? Which commercial one is most authentic? I can do refinishing to "age" or show wear. I don't hunt, just something maybe to shoot at the range now and again. Thanks.

Honestly…there are lots of options; from ordering an inexpensive India Made gun, to getting a kit, getting a commercially made gun…or even going whole Hog and having a custom made gun put together for you.

I really do like the looks of the gun and the balance is great.…though I broke down and got a Fusil de Chase instead…

I have to say though, there are few things more satisfying than making meat with a smoothbore flintlock…let that sink in…

Last edited:
Of the "commercial" ones, I think Clay Smith and Danny Caywood make the most authentic replicas. Both of these fellows are custom or semi-custom builders, but their trade guns are built to specific patterns with proprietary parts sets. There are other custom builders, such as Alex Afremenko or Ken Gahagan, who have built superb trade guns, but theirs are full custom jobs, and as far as I know each one is unique. TVM used to offer a Northwest gun and I think they still offer a version of a French TVLLE musket. I can't comment about their Northwest gun. Their standard "fusil de chase" is not strictly authentic but it is close enough for most folks.

There are also custom builders who have not done their research. I've seen photos of Northwest guns with Siler locks, for example. It pays to do some research on your own, if authenticity is your objective.

I have no personal experience with the India-made trade guns, but I've not been favorably impressed with the ones I've seen. They look a little "cartoonish" to me.

Several of the guys on this forum have Pedersoli trade guns and most seem to like them very much as shooters. However, the Pedersoli trade musket is not a copy of any gun from history. It differs from the old Northwest guns and Carolina guns in a number of particulars. As an analogy, this Pedersoli trade musket is to the original English trade guns and Northwest guns as the Lyman/Investarms Great Plains Rifle is to the original Hawken. Close enough for some folks, but not for others.

If you aren't too particular about authenticity, the Pedersoli may be a good choice, based on comments and reviews on this forum. You might also call TVM and find out what they might have to offer that isn't on their website. If you want a big step up in authenticity, I would (and did) go with Caywood. If you want to go all out for authenticity and function and get a full custom job, you'll want to do some research and present a list of specific features you want to the builder.

Just for the record, I have a 20 gauge North Star West Northwest gun. The funny thing is that I discussed features I wanted based on an original I liked, and they did a splendid job replicating it. It was only later that I found I had asked them to copy a Belgian "counterfeit" of a Barnett trade musket, so the joke is on me! I love the gun, though. It looks great and is a terrific shooter. It was a sad day when North Star West closed its doors. I also have a 24 gauge Caywood Northwest gun, which is both authentic and reliable. These two Northwest guns are "keepers," for life. I once had a TVLLE musket from TVM, but sold it.

Good luck in your quest!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Two of my guns from military heritage both spark well a musket on top is a French trade gun the bottom is a 1733 French pistol I love both of them but the pistol has a little more figure in the teak stock both take a 62 caliber round ball and shoot to point of aim I use 80 grains of double F in the musket in 50 g of double F in the pistol I shoot them all the time and took a deer this past fall with the Top Gun enjoy your search.

Attachments

• 0621221843.jpg
    0621221843.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 0
Honestly…there are lots of options; from ordering an inexpensive India Made gun, to getting a kit, getting a commercially made gun…or even going whole Hog and having a custom made gun put together for you.

I really do like the looks of the gun and the balance is great.…though I broke down and got a Fusil de Chase instead…

I have to say though, there are few things more satisfying than making meat with a smoothbore flintlock…let that sink in…
I think a custom gun is beyond what I'd want to spend; will continue to 'ponder'! Thanks!

Two of my guns from military heritage both spark well a musket on top is a French trade gun the bottom is a 1733 French pistol I love both of them but the pistol has a little more figure in the teak stock both take a 62 caliber round ball and shoot to point of aim I use 80 grains of double F in the musket in 50 g of double F in the pistol I shoot them all the time and took a deer this past fall with the Top Gun enjoy your search.
Thank you! I recently "discovered" MH, and was wondering about overall quality. Your comments are helpful and appreciated.

Good to know! Helpful! Thanks.

Of the "commercial" ones, I think Clay Smith and Danny Caywood make the most authentic replicas. Both of these fellows are custom or semi-custom builders, but their trade guns are built to specific patterns with proprietary parts sets. There are other custom builders, such as Alex Afremenko or Ken Gahagan, who have built superb trade guns, but theirs are full custom jobs, and as far as I know each one is unique. TVM used to offer a Northwest gun and I think they still offer a version of a French TVLLE musket. I can't comment about their Northwest gun. Their standard "fusil de chase" is not strictly authentic but it is close enough for most folks.

There are also custom builders who have not done their research. I've seen photos of Northwest guns with Siler locks, for example. It pays to do some research on your own, if authenticity is your objective.

I have no personal experience with the India-made trade guns, but I've not been favorably impressed with the ones I've seen. They look a little "cartoonish" to me.

Several of the guys on this forum have Pedersoli trade guns and most seem to like them very much as shooters. However, the Pedersoli trade musket is not a copy of any gun from history. It differs from the old Northwest guns and Carolina guns in a number of particulars. As an analogy, this Pedersoli trade musket is to the original English trade guns and Northwest guns as the Lyman/Investarms Great Plains Rifle is to the original Hawken. Close enough for some folks, but not for others.

If you aren't too particular about authenticity, the Pedersoli may be a good choice, based on comments and reviews on this forum. You might also call TVM and find out what they might have to offer that isn't on their website. If you want a big step up in authenticity, I would (and did) go with Caywood. If you want to go all out for authenticity and function and get a full custom job, you'll want to do some research and present a list of specific features you want to the builder.

Just for the record, I have a 20 gauge North Star West Northwest gun. The funny thing is that I discussed features I wanted based on an original I liked, and they did a splendid job replicating it. It was only later that I found I had asked them to copy a Belgian "counterfeit" of a Barnett trade musket, so the joke is on me! I love the gun, though. It looks great and is a terrific shooter. It was a sad day when North Star West closed its doors. I also have a 24 gauge Caywood Northwest gun, which is both authentic and reliable. These two Northwest guns are "keepers," for life. I once had a TVLLE musket from TVM, but sold it.

Good luck in your quest!

Notchy Bob
Thanks for the comments, Notchy! I'll look into the Caywood, I've noticed their ads in Muzzle Blasts. Have a great Summer!

Back